PDA

View Full Version : Optimum-P085RD-Pink Wax

Pages : [1] 2

mgm2003
04-11-2005, 09:49 AM
We decided to try a new combination on my neighbors TL -Optimum Car polish, Menzerna P085RD polish, and Finish Kare Pink Wax.

The car was polished a few weeks ago and topped with Souvern. Since we`re nuts, we decided to try out the new products and strip off the expensive souvern wax (and I`m glad we did) There wasn`t much to do in terms of paint correction. It had a few light scratches & marring -nothing major.

The process/products used were:

-Poorboys SS&S car wash

-BnB on the tires

-Optimum Car Polish

-Menzerna P085RD Polish

-Pink Wax

We applied the Optimum & Menzerna polish via rotary (Cyclo on the rear bumper area). 1200-1500 RPM for Optimum with a green LC light cut pad, and 1500RPM using a white LC polish pad for the menzerna.

The Optimum polish took out the light scratching/marring. As I`ve noted in the past, a few things that stand out when you use Optimum are: it`s very easy to work with, doesn`t sling, and doesn`t dust. The pad dictates how aggressive the polish works (within limits -it`s not a compound). A cutting pad will remove defects, and a polish/finish pad will leave you with a high gloss finish. It`s pretty versatile polish IMO.

Next up was the Menzerna P085RD. At bit pricey at $45, but IMO it`s worth every penny. This polish will take your finish to the next level. I apply 3 or 4 pea sized drops on a slightly damp pad (I use S&W to prime the pad), and away you go. 3-4 passes and it vanishes from your paint leaving you with a visually stunning finish. This polish has a permanent place on my shelf, and works especially well on black & metallic finishes. Pictures really don`t bring out the reflections that you get in person.

We topped the car with Finish Kare Pink Wax. This wax works VERY well on black finishes. 1 coat looks nice, but 2 coats will have you saying `WOW`. It reminds you of a polymer sealer (slick feeling finish), but I have no idea if this is the case. Any one know? Has anyone tested pink wax durability? So far I really like it. We`ll keep it on for a month or so to keep an eye on durability. The downsides to this products are: 1) It has a strong solvent smell, similar to FMJ. 2) If you let it dry to long, you`ll get a fair amount of dusting.

mgm2003
04-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Here`s a link for more pictures. The first 5 or so are the TL.

http://autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=12771&cat=500&thumb=1

usdm
04-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Pink wax is a very good product. But it does

have the potential to dust, as it does not have

any anti-static capability. It does not feel nearly as

slick as sealants IMO, but then I may not have

such a good sense of touch in the last few years.

I find it to be incredible on dark metallics, pearls,

and solids.

mgm2003
04-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Agree.... it is incredible on dark metallic, pearls, and solids.

A second coat makes a world of difference. I was very impressed with the look that I achieved using this wax on my white CTS and my neighbors black TL.

Thomas Dekany
04-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by usdm

Pink wax is a very good product. But it does

have the potential to dust, as it does not have

any anti-static capability. It does not feel nearly as

slick as sealants IMO, but then I may not have

such a good sense of touch in the last few years.

I find it to be incredible on dark metallics, pearls,

and solids.

FK recommends 425 (their QD) afterwards which does have anti-static properties.

Big Leegr
04-21-2005, 05:37 AM
I`ve gotten over 6 weeks with just the Pink wax. I also feel that the wax is less slick than some sealants. I used #218, for instance, and topped it with the wax. I did notice a drop in slickness after the wax application.

Thomas Dekany
04-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by BigLeegr

I`ve gotten over 6 weeks with just the Pink wax. I also feel that the wax is less slick than some sealants. I used #218, for instance, and topped it with the wax. I did notice a drop in slickness after the wax application.

Top it wit 425 to get that slickness we all like.

imported_Burlyq
04-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I used Pink again today and it was a pain. How come I have a hard time buffing this product off, am I alone? I have tried wowo like p21s, and some of you suggested letting it set so I let it set for 1/2 hour, but still broke my shoulder wiping it. I finally got my rotary out to buff it off. It did look exellent, but I find the product fairly hard to buff. My Makita also died during the detail so I am a little chapped. As far as ease of use I put it in the same catagory as SG and close to Collinite. Should I let it set for hours?

Thomas Dekany
04-21-2005, 09:52 PM
not sure why you are having issues with removal.

15 minutes is all it needs, although I have left it on longer in the past. I use my PC to apply it. Just seems to be faster and more even layer.

If you don;t want it, send me that can of PW. :D

Scottwax
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
As long as you apply PW thin and wait 15 minutes, it should come off pretty easily. :nixweiss

imported_Burlyq
04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
I had no isuues when I used the machine, it was difficult by hand. I might try using it once more because I do like the results. Maybe it was too thick? Definetly harder to use than Natty`s or p21s in any case.

Scottwax
04-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I agree, it isn`t as easy to use as S100 or Nattys and you can get some dusting but I also agree the results are really good.

mgm2003
04-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Just reporting back a few weeks later....

The pink wax is holding up very well, and you can still detect a lot of slickness.

I like the wax so well that I decided to order their #2180 sealer to try as a base for pink wax.

imported_DetailGirl
04-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Burlyq

I had no isuues when I used the machine, it was difficult by hand. I might try using it once more because I do like the results. Maybe it was too thick? Definetly harder to use than Natty`s or p21s in any case. p21s /s100 is by far and away the easiest wax I have ever used.

Thomas Dekany
04-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mgm121499

Just reporting back a few weeks later....

The pink wax is holding up very well, and you can still detect a lot of slickness.

I like the wax so well that I decided to order their #2180 sealer to try as a base for pink wax.

Wait till you see what I am going to do with the FK1 order that is coming on Tuesday! :D

2180 IS very slick.