PDA

View Full Version : PC Pad Maintenance

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Denzil
04-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I know there probably isn`t a best way to clean your pads but I sure would like to hear how everyone else cleans theirs. I am getting ready to detail a very oxidized 1989 525i and I definitely need to find a way to clean these babies. Thanks for the help.

F.Y.I. I have...

- (1) Yellow Propel

- (1) Orange Propel

- (2) Green Propels

- (2) Blue Propels

- (1) Black Propel

:D

White95Max
04-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I cleaned very oxidized paint off of an old Accord earlier this week, and to clean the pads I just scrubbed them a bit, and let them soak in a bucket of warm-to-hot water with Dawn. I waited an hour or two, and then scrubbed them again. Then I rinsed them out. They come out pretty clean, but not like brand new anymore. :(

You can see the pics of the pads before washing at my thread in the Extreme Detail Contest forum.

imported_Denzil
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the advice Max.

I looked at your thread and wow, just wow. That Accord looked like it was primered a rusty brick color. I`m thinking the 525i is almost as bad. What I have to work with is the 4* car care trio from Excel Detail. I`m really not sure if the 4* SMR will do the job but I`ll see what I can do.

Again, thanks for the PC pad cleaning tips. I have a feeling I`m going to be cleaning them after every panel or two. :rolleyes:

White95Max
04-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Oh during the detail I cleaned the pads after every panel. For the hood and roof, I cleaned the pads twice EACH! Those areas were absolutely horrible.

I have 2 green Propel pads and 2 yellow ones that I used, so I would let one of them soak in the Dawn and warm water while I used the other one. Then after that one got caked with oxidation, I scrubbed the soaking one off, and rinsed it under the faucet. After a couple rinses, I squeezed out most of the water, sandwiched it between a MF towel, and then spun it dry on the PC at speed 3.

Repeat after every panel.

imported_Denzil
04-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Ok cool Max. Thanks for your input.

Does anyone else out there that would like to post their method of cleaning your PC pads? ... or does everyone clean theirs like Max??? :confused:

I remember reading in the e-book that the use of horse hair brushes was essential... :nixweiss

togwt
04-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Foam Pad Care / Washing:

Clean foam pads soon after use, if left saturated for extended periods of time the foam will deteriorate; extend the useful life of the foam pads by periodic cleaning. Snappy Clean (properautocare.com) is a citrus pad cleaner in powder form; empty the contents of one packet into a 5-gallon bucket of water. As your foam and/or wool pads become caked with residues, just peel them off your polisher and place them into the bucket to soak. Put a clean pad on your polisher and continue polishing.

A word of caution when using foam pads, check the pad face for residue build-up, when loaded with dried product they have an abrasive action that could be detrimental to the paint finish. Clean residue from pads often with a soft horsehair or soft nylon brush as metal may damage the foam

If there is extensive oxidation I would heed White95Max`s advice and wash them often

JonM

imported_Denzil
04-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply TOGWT.

I think I know what I have to do now. :xyxthumbs

imported_rayvenn
04-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

so I would let one of them soak in the Dawn and warm water while I used the other one. Then after that one got caked with oxidation, I scrubbed the soaking one off, and rinsed it under the faucet. After a couple rinses, I squeezed out most of the water, sandwiched it between a MF towel, and then spun it dry on the PC at speed 3.

Repeat after every panel.

White95Max,

What did you use to scrub the pad? I don`t have a brush that I would trust to not tear the pad material up .... and I want these things to last a while.

Russ

trueblueblood
04-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Foam Pad Care / Washing:

Clean foam pads soon after use, if left saturated for extended periods of time the foam will deteriorate; extend the useful life of the foam pads by periodic cleaning. Snappy Clean (properautocare.com) is a citrus pad cleaner in powder form; empty the contents of one packet into a 5-gallon bucket of water. As your foam and/or wool pads become caked with residues, just peel them off your polisher and place them into the bucket to soak. Put a clean pad on your polisher and continue polishing.

A word of caution when using foam pads, check the pad face for residue build-up, when loaded with dried product they have an abrasive action that could be detrimental to the paint finish. Clean residue from pads often with a soft horsehair or soft nylon brush as metal may damage the foam

If there is extensive oxidation I would heed White95Max`s advice and wash them often

JonM

Would a toothbrush work and how soft a nylon brush are we talking horsehair soft or alittle more bite. Seems like the horsehair wouldn`t do alot?

Good info

White95Max
04-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by rayvenn

White95Max,

What did you use to scrub the pad? I don`t have a brush that I would trust to not tear the pad material up .... and I want these things to last a while.

Russ

To scrub the pads, I just used my fingers.

imported_rayvenn
04-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

To scrub the pads, I just used my fingers.

har har. Well. I was making it more complex than necessary again, I see. Thanks for the reply ... and I guess that`s easier to keep from tearing up the pads than using a brush.

Intercooled
04-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I soak mine in Sonus der Wonder wash. It works really good. I let them soak over night and it seems the Sonus extracts all the polish. I then rinse them in cold water and let them dry before use or storage.

Odin Mz3
04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Intercooled

I soak mine in Sonus der Wonder wash. It works really good. I let them soak over night and it seems the Sonus extracts all the polish. I then rinse them in cold water and let them dry before use or storage.

Is Sonus much more better than Dawn. I only wax my car and some other and I do it by hand (for now), should I simply use Dawn until my pad is done (pad arent so expensive)

Intercooled
04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
For hand pads, microfiber or terry applicators I would just throw them in the wash. ( regular laundry detergent always worked for me.) Dawn would be fine as well, just rinse them real good when they`re clean.

imported_Denzil
04-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Hmm.. the Snappy Clean Pro Cleaning Powder seems to be the most costly method. I am interested in trying the Sonus Der Wunder Wasche since it does clean MF`s, WW`s, and PC pads. Of course there is always the cheapest alternative, Dawn. :nixweiss