PDA

View Full Version : Tar overspray

Pages : [1] 2

tholland
04-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Help! I got massive tar overspray at work today from a roofing job the next bldg over... 100% of all horizontal surfaces. I didn`t notice (black car) until I washed it when I got home... feels like 80 grit sandpaper. The only thing I have that will touch the stuff is Varsol... does anyone know if this will harm the clearcoat? I`ve heard one opinion that it will make it cloudy. I tried it on my hood which is my least favourite paint on the car... wiped it as quickly as possible then washed with soap and water immediately. I didn`t have enough light tonight to tell if it affected the clear.

I tried a small section w/ claybar, but there is too much tar... it just loads up the clay too much, I `d have to use like 5 bars to get anywhere. Tried Bug & Tar remover and that only made progress after 3 applications... too much rubbing. Does anyone know of a good safe solvent? Anyone have any experience with tar?

Scottwax
04-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Citrus based cleaners work well on tar. Wash after using and rewax. It takes off tar so it takes off wax.

SA Detailer
04-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Granatize Tar, Wax And Grease Remover works great on tar, I should know. About a year ago a building owner from Dallas contacted me through an internet search and at his building, new tar and gravel were being layed down while the winds were hollowing about 40 mph and threads of tar were all over 8 cars and they were pissed off. Well I never really dealt with that much tar so I gave him a stupid amount per vehicle so he would reject it, $400 per car. Then he said, "I`ll overnight the check today and can you do it Friday?", this was Wed. so it gave me 2 days to think of what to do because that was to much money to turn down. Contacted my detail supplier and told me this stuff works great. Went back Friday at 8:30 am and poured in a spray bottle and applied it, let it set for a second then washed it down and I was amazed, I was done by 1:00pm and with $2,800 in my pocket. Try your detail pruduct suppliers, alot of them carry the stuff. www.grazatized.com (http://www.granatize.com)

SA Detailer
04-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Sorry it`s www.GRANITZE.com (http://www.granitize.com) Even on small amounts of tar, I pour it on MF towel and wipe it down and tar comes off rite away.

tholland
04-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Well, tar is gone... thanks to Goo Gone Automotive Spray Gel and a 12 pack of towels. This stuff appears to be citrus based, at least it smells citrus. I tried a different citrus cleaner first and it wasn`t quite strong enough. Washed off with Dawn, now I can START my detailing weekend. Thanks a lot for the help!!

derekz
04-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Similiar happened to me, car sitting on drive for most of the week, and the road outside home was being stripped and then resurfaced. I think they have finally finished this morning, so I washed my extremely dusty car this afternoon and was appalled to find every horizontal surface rough as hell. :eek:

The clay was extremely black, although it did seem to get all of it off before getting loaded up. I have run out of clay so have to wait till next weekend to finish it off.

Scottwax
04-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Martin-thanks for the link. I run into that occasionally too....and I`ve given a few outrageous quotes hoping to avoid nasty projects like that too!

Last time I had to remove tar from some vehicles, it was very light and just a quick wash and polishing with Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose cleaned them up nicely-and since then, I clean 2-3 cars a week at that office!

AutoNova
04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by SADetail

Sorry it`s www.GRANITZE.com (http://www.granitize.com) Even on small amounts of tar, I pour it on MF towel and wipe it down and tar comes off rite away.

Where do you purchase it from? Do you have to call them?

Spilchy
04-09-2005, 09:32 PM
I have great results with Tarminator.

Today I had an early model white Acura Legend. The lower panels were loaded with tar and grease from years on buildup.

I sprayed liberally and it literally started to melt away. You can see it running down the side of the car. I hosed off, followed with clay and then P21s TAW with a OXO brush. Then I washed the car normally. Polished and waxed like the rest of the car and it looked great.

Definately pick up a can of Tarminator from Stoners at any place like Pep Boys or Auto Zone. Just wash off afterwards.

SA Detailer
04-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Look up AUTO DETAIL SUPLIES in your local phone book and call alll till you find one that carries the line, they are in most major markets. Martin.

Jesstzn
04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Actually Mineral Spirits ( Varsol etc ) is one of the best and least expensive products to remove tar and it has nothing harmful in it like Xylene. Just saturate a cloth with it and let the MS do the work .. don`t rub any more than you have to. Once gone wash the area and rewax.

SA Detailer
04-09-2005, 11:40 PM
$12.00 per gallon and works great and just finished using it up about a month ago, bought it about year and ahalf ago, a little of this stuff goes a long way.

salty
04-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Varsol works for me.

AutoNova
04-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SADetail

$12.00 per gallon and works great and just finished using it up about a month ago, bought it about year and ahalf ago, a little of this stuff goes a long way.

Are you going to continue to use the product? It sounds like you are not replacing it.

SA Detailer
04-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I`m going to supplier tomorrow to stock up for the month on all supplies plus tar remover.