PDA

View Full Version : Point of Sale and AR/AP Software

travisdecpn
12-06-2004, 01:18 AM
I`m just wondering what programs people prefer to use for point of sale and accounts receivable/payable software. Our family business is coming to the point where we need to update our old computer systems/software to something current. Our business is a plumbing/electrical/hardware supply house with a customer base of about 400-500 with open charge accounts. I know about Quickbooks, but is there anything else out there that`s any good? Thanks in advance.

Scooter
12-06-2004, 09:47 AM
I have talked to multiple accountants, and in their opinion, Quickbooks is the ticket. They do have different packages available for different things, and I am certain one is a package for retail/wholesale businesses like yours.
There is Peachtree, and I have heard positive comments on it, but they still preferred quickbooks over peachtree.
If you have an accountant, (which in my opinion, you should if you have a business) Ask them which one they prefer, and then spend the money to have them help you set it up. It will probably cost you about $500 or $600 over the cost of the software, but if they are any good, it will save you 10 times that in taxes and expenses due to poor presentation.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Scott P
12-06-2004, 09:53 AM
I`ve never checked into the POP capabilities of Quickbooks. It sounds like you need something that can scan barcodes and adjust inventory accordingly. Right?

Bob
12-06-2004, 10:36 AM
I use some cheapo I bought from Office Max and it sucks. Hard to customize and locks up a lot. I also need a good one to use and Quickbooks seems to get the best reviews.

travisdecpn
12-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hardware is my forte, but when it comes to software I`m at a loss. What I really would like to be able to do is get rid of our hand written receipts and go directly over to computerized receipts. However, most of our stuff isn`t barcoded, so I will probably have to manually catalog everything. Most importantly we need to update our AR software, which is about 18 years old now (a dinosaur). From the responses it sounds like quickbooks is the way to go, but I`ll also talk to out accountant and see what he says. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

gnev8
12-06-2004, 01:53 PM
I currently use Quickbooks Pro 2003 in my business.
I have 3 Cafe`s with lot`s of employees and big A/P and A/R needs.
My software handles everything perfectly.
I think it is the best choice for Most small businesses.