PDA

View Full Version : Hazing after using the right products.

P Rock
04-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I know the topic of swirlmarks has been discussed many, many times . In my case, I`ve tried going over it with good reccomended products but I don`t know what may be causing my problem.

I have a red car with 10 year old paint. The car has low mileage and the paint is in decent condition other than very fine scratches / swirlmarks. Looks like it was both buffed with an untrained person and dried/washed improperly. They`re very fine scratches that only show up in certain lights. After doing some researching, I bought 3M perfect-it II rubbing compound, Zaino bros swirl remover and Z2 polish. I`m untrained with a buffer and I only have a craftsman buffer I got for x-mas so I didn`t want to use it. By hand, I used the 3M rubbing compound and then went over it with the Zaino swirl remover, I let it dry for a half hour then followed up with Zaino Z2. Car looked MUCH better.....got rid of alot of the scratches but now, under certain lights...there`s a haze around the light. How do I get rid of this and what did I do wrong? Thanks in advance!

imported_Burlyq
04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Polishes need to break down, and aggresive polishes need to be finished with a lower aggresive polish. Zaino 5, I assumed you used, isn`t good at swirl hiding so you needed to remove them prior to applying that product. The hazing more than likely was you needed to finish that with a less aggresive polish, or it needed to be worked until it broke down. I think the polish you used is unique, one that you can get away by using it with your hands, but most polishes get a better result with machine. I would try a least aggresive polish to remove that hazing.

Eliot Ness
04-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Yes, what Burlyq said. Follow-up with some 3M PI III MG (Machine Glaze) and make sure you work it long enough to break it down.

If doing this by hand you may want to buy some Ben-``` for your arms ;)

Bill D
04-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Yes, definitely a machine like a PC is needed for optimum results. Also, in addition to polishes breaking down properly and not using too much of them per application, I am very big on totally cleaning the paint between each polishing step. Often an alcohol wipe down, allowing the alcohol to dwell for a sufficient amount of time first, in order to break down whatever oils or residue are behind from the product used before moving onto the next product is important.t You will see better results and the products in your sequence are going to perform better.

Also, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity play a roll. If you are detailing outside, always try to do it in the shade or at least stick with products that are reportedly compatible with humidity and the temperature you`re working in.

Accounting for and adjusting according to these factors help significantly in the process.

P Rock
04-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I know the envoronment has alot to do with the process. Everything was done in my garage at about a 60 degree temperature. So what should I do now? Go out and get some 3M PI III and go over it with that? Help....I can`t have this. I parked it under some lights tonight at a meet and it looked terrible!

P Rock
04-09-2005, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Burlyq

[B]Polishes need to break down, and aggresive polishes need to be finished with a lower aggresive polish. Zaino 5, I assumed you used, isn`t good at swirl hiding so you needed to remove them prior to applying that product. The hazing more than likely was you needed to finish that with a less aggresive polish, or it needed to be worked until it broke down. I think the polish you used is unique, one that you can get away by using it with your hands, but most polishes get a better result with machine. I would try a least aggresive polish to remove that hazing.

After I used the 3M perfect-it II, I used the Zaino "swirl remover" (that`s what it says on the bottle) followed by Zaino Z2. The haze is evident only under certain lights. The scratches are gone bu thte haze is there. What`s my next step?

Eliot Ness
04-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by P Rock

.......After I used the 3M perfect-it II, I used the Zaino "swirl remover" (that`s what it says on the bottle) followed by Zaino Z2. The haze is evident only under certain lights. The scratches are gone bu thte haze is there. What`s my next step?

You used an aggressive polish to remove your scratches and swirls, now you need to step down to a less aggressive polish to remove the hazing caused by the PI II RC, such as PI III MG.

You can do this by hand, but correct lighting is critical to see if you`re making any progress. Something as simple as an old style trouble light (with a single bulb) can be used when viewed at an angle:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1286388&cp=1254879.1254955.1259270&parentPage=family

Work small sections at a time (~ 2`x2`) and you may want to do just a panel or two at a time so your arms don`t get as tired. Follow the other suggestions and make sure you work the polish long enough to break it down. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

P Rock
04-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

You used an aggressive polish to remove your scratches and swirls, now you need to step down to a less aggressive polish to remove the hazing caused by the PI II RC, such as PI III MG.

You can do this by hand, but correct lighting is critical to see if you`re making any progress. Something as simple as an old style trouble light (with a single bulb) can be used when viewed at an angle:

Eliot Ness: That`s interesting that you mentioned using the trouble light because that`s what I used to check the paint. It was the only portable light I had laying around at the time so it worked out perfectly.

Question...wouldn`t the Zaino swirl remover and Z2 be stepping down from the less aggressive polish already or is the PI III MG a completely different type of product? Would it be safe for me to use the Craftsman buffer I got for x-mas with the 3M PI III MG?Remember, I`ve never used a buffer before and would love the experience.....just don`t want to ruin my pride and joy with it. Thanks

Eliot Ness
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by P Rock

......Question...wouldn`t the Zaino swirl remover and Z2 be stepping down from the less aggressive polish already or is the PI III MG a completely different type of product? Would it be safe for me to use the Craftsman buffer I got for x-mas with the 3M PI III MG?Remember, I`ve never used a buffer before and would love the experience.....just don`t want to ruin my pride and joy with it. Thanks

The "Zaino swirl remover" is not an abrasive polish, meaning it is meant to fill or hide rather than remove. So, yes, you need a different product such as PI III MG.

If your "Craftsman buffer" is what I`m thinking of, then it doesn`t really have the speed and power to work an abrasive polish:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00910720000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00910723000

Most users here use a PC to do polishing, and it will run between $150-$200 for a PC and a good set of pads. The PC is safe and very, very easy to use.