PDA

View Full Version : First white car...claybar...tips, experiences, and advice

breakneckvtec
04-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Ok well, I have recently purchased my first white car. I got it toward the end of detailing season last summer and didnt have too much time to play with it.

I did not claybar the car when I bought it, it is a low mileage 02 Jetta 1.8T...with Flik artic rims, GLI suspension, GLI front lip, 20th GTI side skirts and color matched 4 motion dual tip rear valence...and other goodies :cool:

Anyway...long story short I began noticing things...things I have never seen before. In the paint I saw black specks and orangish brown specs in various spots...especially on the lower panels. However, the paint felt pretty smooth...VW paint probably...hard as a rock. I resolved myself to believing it was contamination in the paint...and could now see it because the car is white. I began to think that taking my time prepping this car would make more difference than any sealant I use on it. I was right.

I can normally clay a car in about a half hour. Not this time, I only got about 3/4 of the car done, and went through a half a bar in about 2 hours. On the bottom I had to give some extra attention to the lower panels and concentrate on the areas with specs increasing pressure while lubing the surface to get it out.

Also, I found that a mixture of QEW, GC, and water makes for good lube. I took a chenelle covered sponge and basically pretended like I was wetsanding. I would use the sponge to control a flow of lube over the area I was working making sure not to let it dry out. I used light pressure where areas werent bad using maybe just the weight of my hand and then a little bit more in areas with heavier contamination.

I will be spending more time claying next time out as well. I will finish the missed panels then give another go around spot claying areas I may have missed. I was dissappointed that I didnt have time to polish, however the difference the clay was making was so noticeable on white I decided to really take my time with this step before polishing and sealing.

Sorry for being long winded, thanks for reading and if you have a white or light car and have some claying tips that may help me feel free to pass them along. :xyxthumbs

imported_Sullybob
04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the post. Having a white car I have noticed the same things you mentioned. I think that the oragnish brown specks are rust blooms. On my car I can see rust blooms, they come off with clay and it cleans up the orange stain. After claying my white car and the amount of time that it took it made me wonder how the job I did on my blue car really came out. Having white does have its own problems.

rollman
04-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I don`t know which clay your using but if you can find Clay Magic Red it helps on claying white cars for the first time . Its a meduim grade clay and its much more sticky . Claying a light color car like white for the first time can take hours depending on how bad it is and the size of the vehicle .

Another tip while claying try doing it during the wash , the soap makes great lube and your already creating that lube when you wash . Good luck :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
04-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Before I tried an aggressive clay I`d go with a decontamination system from AutoInt ("ABC") or FinishKare. I`d also use one if the rust blooms "come back" after you`ve clayed them away. But then I decontaminate all my vehicles ;) I clay while the acidic step is dwelling.

rollman
04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Before I tried an aggressive clay I`d go with a decontamination system from AutoInt ("ABC") or FinishKare. I`d also use one if the rust blooms "come back" after you`ve clayed them away. But then I decontaminate all my vehicles ;) I clay while the acidic step is dwelling.

Yeah this is the best way , however at over $ 60 + shipping its not within everyones budget.

Accumulator
04-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Rollman- True, true....but then, when I read about the car in question I don`t mind asking breakneckvtec to shell out that kind of money :D

rollman
04-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Rollman- True, true....but then, when I read about the car in question I don`t mind asking breakneckvtec to shell out that kind of money :D

I had got a :chuckle: out of that one when I read it . Gotcha :2thumbs: :laugh:

BTW Do you use any other AI products ?