PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Sealant/Wax

schwa
04-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Hello! I just bought some used wheels and the previous owner didn`t take care of them too well. I did a search and looks like a good wash/claying will do the trick. My question is about what I need to do after. A lot of you guys recommend some heat resisitant wax but my local store doesn`t have any. I ended up buying this Michelin brake dust repellent that you spray on, let it sit and wipe off.

Is this any good or should I return the product?

schwa
04-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Blah. Search owned me! This product appears to be good! Any other suggestions for wheel cleaners though!?

-Thanks!

Glossmaster
04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Try cleaning your wheels with Eagle One A to Z cleaner. ( works great on tires, too! ) After drying your wheels apply some Klasse AIO or Zaino.

Toodles!!

Glossmaster
04-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey schwa !

I see you`re up in the Great White North! Do you miss the NHL as much as I do?? I was born in Boston & I`m a huge Bruins & Habs fan. Things just aren`t the same without the NHL Playoffs!!

Happy Waxing!!

schwa
04-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Haha. I love this site. Everyone is so enthusiastic. :)

Yeah no hockey sucks especially since the flames ROCKED last season :D

togwt
04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Once the brake dust has been removed with a 100% acid-free wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Cleaner) apply a citrus based cleaner to the surface, agitate with a boars hair wheel brush and rinse off, dry thoroughly and then apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended (ZoopSeal) as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF) a wheel surface will reach a temperature in excess of 120oF due to rotor friction and in excess of 195oF when parked in the sun.

Periodically remove the wheels (one at a time) to enable the back of the wheel, callipers and give better access to the wheel wells. Should the wheel surface have small scratches they can he removed with a mildly abrasive polish.

Tar should be removed with a solvent type cleaner (and #0000 synthetic steel wool if necessary) and any bonded contaminants or over spray removed with Detailer`s Clay, then clean surface with a chemical / polish (Klasse AIO) wash and dry wheel surface thoroughly, and apply ZoopSeal.

JonM

mgm2003
04-08-2005, 08:29 AM
AIO or Poorboys Pro Polish to clean and Poorboys Wheel Sealer x 3 will make you a very happy man. The sealer will reduce the time/effort it takes to clean off break dust.