PDA

View Full Version : Reuctant New PC Owner

BottleHead
04-07-2005, 01:27 AM
OK.....it`s all your fault. Every last one of you. You`ve made me do it. A pox upon you all! <wink>

After having lurked about around here for the past several months, you have all convinced me to invest in a PC. It arrived today and, as I write, rests on the desk next to me. It along with the various accessories which I ordered with it. (A Sonus 5" backing plate, a Sonus DAS Orange pad, two DAS Greens, two DAS Blues, and a handful of MF buffing bonnets. )

So, why should I title myself as reluctant? Well it is a bit of a story, that. About 18 or 20 years back I purchased a 10" orbital buffer (Sears, I think...but it`s been awhile. I might be mistaken.) It was about the same size....and weight....as a ship`s anchor. Unfortunately, all I was ever able to accomplish with it was to ruin the paint on the vehicle I owned at the time. (Don`t ask me which products I was using....memory is always the second thing to decay with age.) So, forever after, it sat on a shelf in the cellar until I sold the house and was then intentionally left behind when I moved.

Since this utter failure, my feelings toward machine polishing has been one of generally unbridled paranoia. As such, I have remained comfortably within the realm of hand application and polishing. Until now, of course. Now, I am putting my toes back into the waters once again.

My intended victim (other than you blokes for luring me into all of this again, of course) is my new Chrysler 300C. Being a mere six weeks out of the factory, the paint is obviously still in perfect condition and shouldn`t need anything more agressive than AIO for some time yet to come...barring the unforseen vehicular misadventure, anyway.

Therefore, my general regimen (or at least the PC-related portions of it) for the present is mostly limited to AIO and carnauba. To start, my planned gingerly first step is to add second coat of Souveran to the hand applied layer laid down last week. I should be able to avoid any REAL damage with something so simple, I should think. I`ll move on from there in the future.

While I have already been repeatedly over the `Using the PC` in the knowledgebase, I am looking for any advice that anyone might wish to offer in additon to what is contained therein. Any amount of wisdom anyone might wish to offer is most welcome.

.....BH

tailwind
04-07-2005, 01:33 AM
You`ll be fine. Don`t worry about it so much.

It`s tough to harm paint with a PC, especially if you`re using a mild pad and polish. Just get to it, you`re going to love the results.

imported_Burlyq
04-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Huh?:think:

Jokin: Don`t worry about it no way your PC will hurt your paint unless you drop it on it. Just find some good polishes and work them until they come close to dissapearing.

imported_dpeezy415
04-07-2005, 02:07 AM
AIO + Blue is OK til you feel comfortable. It is SUPER gentle IMO.

imported_truzoom
04-07-2005, 02:28 AM
I just have to say you have excellent writing skills.

Congrats on the PC dive!

buldog
04-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Good morning reluctant, just start on the bottom panels where its not so noticable. Once you feel comfortable move your way on up. A PC is very easy to work with.

REX-RACER
04-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by truzoom

I just have to say you have excellent writing skills.

Congrats on the PC dive!

I`d second that in a big way!!!:up I found myself laughing out loud while reading, especially about the "unbridled paranoia"!

Good luck w/ the PC!

Don
04-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Like someone else mentioned in a similar thread, "If you want to hurt your paint with a PC, then swing it around by the cord over your head a few times, then bring it down on the paint."

If you use AIO and a polishing or finishing pad, the only thing you`re going to hurt is your eyes from the shine.

Originally posted by BottleHead

Since this utter failure, my feelings toward machine polishing has been one of generally unbridled paranoia. As such, I have remained comfortably within the realm of hand application and polishing. Until now, of course. Now, I am putting my toes back into the waters once again.

.....BH

Here, I share your paranoia. I had similar experiences with a single speed rotary buffer, and now I`m trying to exorcize those demons. If the weather holds for the next few days, I plan on breaking out my new rotary and just "Have at it." Over the past few months I`ve read everything possible and watched the available videos on rotary use, that plus a bit of common sense should have me buffing like an amateur in no time.

In order to help you on your P/C quest, here are a few good links to PC use, product selections, speed settings and other tips. Bear in mind the links are to a Meguiars site, so the recommended products will be Meguiars, but the acutal aspects of using the buffer are still sound:

General Information (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2524)

PC specific Forum (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67)

White95Max
04-07-2005, 07:27 AM
The PC is nothing to worry about. You probably had a Sears buffer that spun really fast or used a crappy pad or something. You REALLY have to try to damage the paint with a PC.

Conquer your fears. You have nothing to worry about.

Now...I`m scared to use my new rotary when it gets here...anyone help me out? :D

BottleHead
04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by White95Max

The PC is nothing to worry about. You probably had a Sears buffer that spun really fast or used a crappy pad or something.

A bit of all of the above, actually.

As I recall, it was two-speed (off...and really bloody fast), and it had a permanent dense foam pad to which one added bonnets for the intended use. Mind you this was 20 years ago...before the advent of foam pads as today. The buffing bonnets were short nap terry and the application/removal bonnets were a stiff and large-open-cell plastic (wouldn`t really term them as foam but I believe Sears did). Greatest thing to be had for creating that ever-popular swirled finish.

Thanks for the links. I`ll spend some time with them.

TruZoom and RexRacer.....many thanks for your kind compliments.

.....BH

C-Man
04-07-2005, 11:08 AM
I`ve used the PC on my black 300C with AIO. No problems with damaging the paint. I did leave some S100 in the crack on the roofline by the doors that needed to be cleaned up the next day, so I now make sure I apply it carefully in that ara now.