PDA

View Full Version : Claying as part of QEW Wash

toml
04-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I`ve been using QEW as my wash these last three times, and I really like it! No hose to mess with, it`s really simple, and it seems that I can really get up close and observe my paint during the process ... which I wasn`t really able to do when I was at the local car wash using their high pressure hose on a timer (not to mention the $ savings which I can use to pay for some of the supplies I`ve bought :) ).

Anyway, I`ll be claying the car in the next couple weeks as soon as I get my PC pads. I`ve done some searching on the process of claying as part of a QEW wash, and I found two posts by Scott on his process:

I wash and dry the section, then dip the pad into the QEW again, soak the panel, clay, rewash and dry.

(Older post) Wash the section normally (without drying), clay, wash again then dry. It only added about 15-20 minutes to the normal time it takes me to wash a Navigator to clay it using this method. Wash and clay time was less than an hour total.

The first process seems safer because it`s a complete wash followed by claying and another rewash. Less chance of dirt being on the paint for the claying, and the second wash removes any residue.

The second process would be a little faster (only one drying step instead of two), but the possibility of dirt on the paint during claying is greater. It does mirror what many of you do in claying which is wash, clay, rewash, and then dry.

Those of you who clay during a QEW wash ... do you use one of the above processes or something different?

Scottwax
04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
You can do it the second way if the car is pretty clean to begin with. It still works if the car is dirty but it fills the clay up pretty quickly with dirt. There is also a chance it can scratch the paint.

Adding an ounce of QD also helps.

toml
04-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks Scott. I already add either half an ounce or an ounce of QD to my QEW wash mix depending on how dirty the car is. I`ll definitely use an once when it comes time to clay.

J.J.
04-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Can you use the Lube provided w/ Clay magic as your QD in the above process or do I have to buy yet another product? Just add an ounce of the Clay magic lube to the QEW wash?

JJ