PDA

View Full Version : Being that you are supposed to use Z2 on a bare surface....

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_DetailGirl
04-06-2005, 09:07 AM
How do you get that bare surface. I typically put Z on over AIO, but I want to try it stand a lone. How do you get the surface to just be bare? I always use something like VM, Mez FP, GEPC or SMR before to clean the surface. How am I suppposed to get the surface to the Sal Zaino recomendation bare?

Thanks!

Bill D
04-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I always use a wax stripping solvent like Prepsol or Prep All before I`m going to repolish an area or start re applying LSPs from scratch. No residues or oils will be left behind this way.

splattj
04-06-2005, 09:13 AM
A product such as Prep-Sol should leave you with a bare surface. A lot of people just use isopropyl alcohol and water or dish soap. I would go with the Prep-Sol as it`s designed to do what you`re looking for.

imported_DetailGirl
04-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Will washing with Z7 remove the oils to be bare?

imported_memnuts
04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DetailGirl

Will washing with Z7 remove the oils to be bare?

After polishing with a non-wax containing polish... Yes:xyxthumbs

imported_DetailGirl
04-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

After polishing with a non-wax containing polish... Yes:xyxthumbs

Examples of these polishes please?

Bill D
04-06-2005, 09:25 AM
1z is probably the best known wax containing polish. There are several polishes that contain fillers, which I understand do not agree with the Zaino application.

It sounds to me like polishing with the Menzerna polishes and washing with the Z7 will set you up for a successful application.

ZaneO
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Menzerna polishes will leave a bare finish. If in doubt, do an alcohol wipe down.

imported_memnuts
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks Bill,

I was thinking of 1Z MP and PP when I wrote my response. Both excellent products in themselves.

DetailGirl, You can continue to use your VM and GEPC`s like products. Just cleanse surface afterwards with 50:50 IPA and water or a specialize product like Prepsol.

Of course, a single Dawn wash will do the trick.

imported_DetailGirl
04-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Thanks Bill,

I was thinking of 1Z MP and PP when I wrote my response. Both excellent products in themselves.

DetailGirl, You can continue to use your VM and GEPC`s like products. Just cleanse surface afterwards with 50:50 IPA and water or a specialize product like Prepsol.

Of course, a single Dawn wash will do the trick.

Thanks man! Where can I get prepsol?

imported_memnuts
04-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by DetailGirl

Thanks man! Where can I get prepsol?

Most, if not all, Body shop supply stores carry this or similiar product.

I get mine from a friend who works at a Body shop free. :o

Bill D
04-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Prepsol is a Dupont product. In a pinch though, I`ve been using the easily attainable ( Wal-Mart, car parts store) Prep-All from Kleen-Strip. I do want to switch over to Prepsol entirely soon,or if I can`t find it, order Valugard`s New Car Prep

imported_fireberd350
04-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Wouldn`t AIO take care of all the prep? It would most likely remove whatever is on there and you could apply the Zaino on top of that, no?

C-Man
04-06-2005, 12:43 PM
AIO can be used under Zaino, but AIO will leave some protection on the paint and it looks like DetailGirl wants to try Zaino on bare paint. I believe the PB SSRs are also a non wax polishes.

kempie
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
After doing some reading it seens AIO has carnuba in it. Which is a no no for Zaino. I have found the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser doesnt have any nuba in it and so it sounds like a better cleaner for following w/Zaino. Hope so, cause thats what I just did.

I doubt that either way will be visually noticiable but the longevety of the Z is my prime concern. In the past I have just used Menzerna IP & FP & Dawn wash after. This time I substituted the Sonus for the Dawn wash.