PDA

View Full Version : 4*UPP Odor Question

CTDiesel
12-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Why does UPP have such a strong solvent smell when the product description states that it is water based? If the odor is the solvent, can UPP be layered?

Blinded
12-05-2004, 03:05 PM
I know the answer to this question because I asked the same question.

Four Star never said that UPP is 100% solvent-free. It does have refined odorless mineral spirits in it.

What you are really smelling is the LIQUID POLYMERS. Simply put, they stink! Polymers don`t smell like fruit or bubble gum. Polymers smell like chemicals because that is what they are.

Four Star can say that UPP is water-based because their is more water in the mix than there is petroleum solvents for sure.

Can UPP be layered? People are layering this product everyday and they love it!

ALL car wax products have some kind of solvent. Some have more and nastier solvents than others. Xylene and naptha is bad. Mineral Spirits are good.

BTW, water is even considered a solvent.

CTDiesel
12-05-2004, 03:16 PM
I appreciate the information Blinded. It`s not that the odor is overpowering, I guess the odor is just not what I expected. UPP gives me the look I want, with greater durability than a carnuba wax.

After all the testing of different products, I think I`ve found the LSP to use. The only problem is I`m not quite sure what to do with all the other stuff I`ve accumulated.

CharlesW
12-05-2004, 03:21 PM
The only problem is I`m not quite sure what to do with all the other stuff I`ve accumulated.
There is a forum for selling/exchanging products.
Detail City Swap Meet
http://www.detailcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Charles

kimwallace
12-05-2004, 05:54 PM
The only problem is I`m not quite sure what to do with all the other stuff I`ve accumulated.

Hide it from your wife :lmfao
Actually what Charles said ...plus, some colors of paint look better with different products.

edschwab1
12-05-2004, 10:53 PM
CTDiesel
I was going to ask the same question. Reason being, I recently purchased UPP v3 which does not have the same nice smell of UPP v2. I need to find my sample of UPP v1 for comparison.

Blinded thanks for the info. I figured the smell was associated with keep UPP a liquid due to the use of Amino functional polymers. Maybe the chemical smell is assiciated with the chemical which makes UPP v3 super slick.

Eric