PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Way to Get Started

schwa
04-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey Guys. I`ve been browsing this site for over three weeks now and let me first say the information here is amazing, but I am swamped with products and acronyms.

I`m a student so I`m pretty broke but I`m looking for a cheap way to get started.

I`ve been to the local auto shops and basically all I have bought so far is Eagle One leather conditioner.

I`m thinking of using Meguair`s 3 step cleaning kit.

For cloths it looks like MF of different kinds is a must. However, I went to a car show and bought those super shammy`s. Big Orange thing that sucks up water. Is this useful at all for detailing cars?

Finally, any suggestions on what to use or if what I am thinking of doing is wrong? I only want the bare minimum. My car is silver and it already has lots of dents and chips in the front bumper and hood.

Thanks for your time!

Mad iX
04-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Meg`s 3-step works well. If budget allows, add ScratchX and replace Step 3 with NXT.

An alternative is ColorX and NXT.

Chamois/shammy is good for drying the car after a wash. Keep it clean and free of dirt and they usually work pretty well.

Meg`s foam pads work well for product application and cost peanuts. Get some terry towels, and if budget allows again, some quality microfibers.

The bare minimum would be ColorX. It`s a pretty good value product that`ll do plenty for your paint. Later on if you decide to get NXT or #26 or whatever else, you can use those over ColorX.

You`ll probably also want an all-purpose cleaner, wheel cleaner, maybe even some dressing for trim and tyres, and there`s still the interior.

schwa
04-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Excellent! Thank you very much! If I add Scratch X what part of the detailing process would that be? polish? For the wheel cleaner and all purpose cleaner I will just see what I have in the local stores. Thank you again for your help

Black240SX
04-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Scratch-X is for spot treatment of scratches that won`t come out with the paint cleaner.