PDA

View Full Version : need help with dealer screwed up new black car

Michaelelts
04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I have posted on this before but still have some confusion about the best process.

I wrecked my 05 Acura and the insurance bought me a new one. A black o5 acura TL. The idiot salemen had the lot guy prep it instead of the usual prep guy( he did a great job on my first one) I was able to get the scratches from that out( I mistakenlyused some megs #2 with my pc) this got rid of the wash scracthes but introduced a haze. The shine is great but it is hazed and to my autopian inspection there are very very fine spiders haze in the finish. I did use aio and ps21 for a temporay coverage.

Okay the plan for you guys to comment on is :

first try some 3m perfect it 3000 final glaze( the least aggresive product 1st) I am not certain that will do anything excpet mask it has no silicone and my be a chemical cleaner or filler) I will try it on a small area first. If that fails then I have in my arementarium

3M FINESSE-IT II FINISHING MATERIAL 05928

and 3m smr

I am really not sure which product to use. besides mail order I can get pretty much the whole 3m line and meg line from a local auto paint store. Alternative to smr megs #82? I also have some PS21 GEPC and Megs crystal paintpolish( part of the older 3 step system they sold). I don`t want to do complete trial and error and lose a bunch of clear coat. The car looks nice to the causal observer but I want to bring it back to where it should be. Thanks sorry for the ramble close up of hazehttp://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/5248dscn1147.jpg same area in bright litehttp://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/5248beyonce1-med.jpg

Mad iX
04-06-2005, 01:34 AM
You could try the 3M. I don`t know how you accidentally used #2, but I would go with #80. If you want something stronger then go with #83. The other products you listed probably aren`t strong enough.

Eliot Ness
04-06-2005, 07:12 AM
If you want to use 3M try PI III MG (Machine Glaze) or the new (VOC friendly version) PI 3000 SMR. You`re correct that 3000 Final Glaze won`t remove anything but the two other products I mentioned should work well for you.

If you find you need something more aggressive try PI III RC (or PI 3000 RC) followed by MG or 3000 SMR.

LouisanaJeeper
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

If you want to use 3M try PI III MG (Machine Glaze) or the new (VOC friendly version) PI 3000 SMR. You`re correct that 3000 Final Glaze won`t remove anything but the two other products I mentioned should work well for you.

If you find you need something more aggressive try PI III RC (or PI 3000 RC) followed by MG or 3000 SMR.

x2

use a white pad first then step up to an orange or yellow if necessary

Michaelelts
04-06-2005, 05:18 PM
okay picked up the PIII MG today and will play around this weekend with hand buffing some areas to see which products and which order to do it in. I used # 2 by mistake as it is rotary only. anyone want a to buy a bottle of nearly full # 2?

Scottwax
04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Honestly, I`d invest in a PC. Definitely worth spending $200 for a PC, backing plates and pads for a $30,000+ car. #80 and a green Propel pad or Meguiars polishing pad should remove that light haze with ease.

Michaelelts
04-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I arleady have a pc I have the kit from classic auto care I believe they relabel LC pads as their`s yellow white and grey. I mentioned by hand 1st as to get an idea of the polish order before committing to the pc in the wrong order.

Michaelelts
04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Okay did the A pillar by hand FINESSE-IT II FINISHING MATERIAL 05928 then perfect III SMR 39012 then

DEEP CRYSTAL PAINT CLEANER then perfect 3000 final polish then I put a coat of Ps21 for temp protection. The haze is gone. As soon as the weather clears and pollon season is over I will redo the hazed areas and re AIO, SG and LSP( souvrain) the car.

Accumulator
04-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear you found something that worked for you. What`s the PI-3000 final polish stuff like?

Michaelelts
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
cost 20 for a quart white and creamy since I did not use it alone but as part of the overall process it is hard to seperate it`s effects. The finish in the area I treated looks perfect( it should the car only has 665 miles on it) I think it is a gloss enhancer probably fillers and very mild abrasive. I think it is a real shame that 3m does not produce a clear chart of there products with abraisvie and filler levels there really should be a unified approach.