PDA

View Full Version : Fuel costs for mobile detailers

LDPaul
04-05-2005, 06:20 PM
How is everyone else dealing with the high fuel costs these days. It is getting to the point that I may have to cut back on some of the boats located at lakes which are quite a distance away. So I was wondering how other detailers are adjusting to the overhead?

I do have a chance to buy a horse and buggy :woot: Then I can sell the fertilizer:confused:

googledude
04-05-2005, 08:47 PM
As the gas prices go up so will my detailing for far out customers (like boaters...who own boats...that burn lots of gas...meaning that they have the money...so I will take it :) )

I`m sure most people will understand a slight increase due to gas in this profession

Scottwax
04-05-2005, 11:48 PM
On Monday through Thursday, I drive less than 100 miles since pretty much all my jobs are in Arlington. I drive another 100-150 on Friday and Saturday since I have one customer left in Dallas (Friday) and one of my Arlington customers on Saturdays moved to Southlake.

When I started 11 years ago, I was driving 35,000 miles per year. I`m down to 20,000 a year now (and that includes going to Kentucky at least once a year and going out to my parents or brother`s houses in Richardson and Rockwall...both around 85 mile roundtrips).

As long as most of my customers are local, no problem. I do have a few customers who get their cars detailed a couple times a year who`ve moved a bit farther away or old Dallas customers so if the price keeps going up, I may have to add a trip charge over a certain number of miles.

Mazz
04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Bah since I got the hummer I put about 29,300 miles a yr on it. I know alllll about gas prices :(

imported_Mighty HD
04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
In my 04 HD...I get about 8-10mpg in the city. Needless to say It only gets driven on the weekends.

The company pays out about $200+ a week now for my 03 F150 4x4 ext cab work truck. I average between 6-10mpg.

jimmybuffit
04-08-2005, 04:48 AM
So, if gas is now $0.50 per gallon higher than before

(and we assume it costs $10.00 additional per `tankful`...)

You`re passing on $200 boat details because of the fuel cost????

I`m lost.

Jim

jimmybuffit
04-08-2005, 08:24 PM
I jus thought I`d bump this...

Only the 2nd time I`ve ever done that...

Jim

Scottwax
04-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Just add a trip charge over a certain amount of miles. Like Jim said, turning down large boats and $$$ might not be a good idea if an extra 50 mile round trip really only costs you $5-10. :nixweiss

LDPaul
04-08-2005, 11:54 PM
I do not turn down boats unless they are located 90 miles away unless they want to pay for travel and I do not understand how that got started. I will turn down a car that is 40 miles away or make sure the customer knows I will add a trip charge. I was just making a general statement on gas prices. Gel a little. Now I do have a customer who lives in OK, but he pays real good for me to detail his Italian Yacht. It is a $1000 day when I go to OK and that is usually twice a year.