PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba or synthetic?

jimdavis13
04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
i was wondering between carnubas or synthetics? what are the pros and cons of each and who makes a good one of each. Also what are your reasons why you chose the one you did. Thanks.

Accumulator
04-05-2005, 04:18 PM
jimdavis13- Welcome to Autopia!

The synthetics offer more protection and generally greater durability. The carnaubas offer a "certain look" and some intangibles (some of us just enjoy using them for purely subjective/emotional reasons :D ).

A few common examples include-

Sythetics:

Excellent durability, like it/hate it looks: Klasse twins, Zaino

More "carnuaba-like" looks, less durable: Blackfire, 4-Star UPP

Carnaubas:

Excellent durability, OK looks: Collinite (anything they sell)

Good look, good durability: Meguiar`s #16 (recently discontinued)

"Special look", so-so durability: P21S/S100, Pinnacle Souveran

There are scads more and most of us have our preferences.

wannafbody
04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
if your car is a daily driver a synthetic will offer more paint protection

emetzger
04-05-2005, 05:42 PM
use the sealant then top with canuaba. best of both worlds!

termigator
04-05-2005, 11:28 PM
It`s all preference. If your car is parked outside and you don`t want to wax once a month, go for a sealant, but just remember: not all sealants are created equal. Also, sealants are usually more reflective than carnauba. I like Blackfire myself.

Carnauba is nice for a garaged vehicle. You`ll get a good couple of months even if you drive it every day. Carnauba usually aren`t as reflective, but they usually give a nice deep look on the paint. If you have a dark car, I think carnauba is probably better.

horatiub
04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
so, would you agree that sealants are probably better for lighter colors and carnubas for darker? at least, that`s what I read thru all the forums. What does everybody else think?

termigator
04-06-2005, 04:43 AM
You could say that, but nothing is etched in stone. I happen to really like Blackfire on my black TL-S and I happen to know a lot of Autopians use Pinnacle Souveran on their light colored vehicles because they like the way it looks. Confused yet?!;)

ExplorerXLT95
04-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by jimdavis13

i was wondering between carnubas or synthetics? what are the pros and cons of each and who makes a good one of each. Also what are your reasons why you chose the one you did. Thanks.

Um, why choose? How about both? :D :xyxthumbs

Get yourself some Klasse All-In-One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, let the HGSG set up for half a day or so, then add a quality carnauba on top (Souveran, P21S, S100, Poorboy`s, etc).... You`ll love the look :2thumbs:

fdresq4
04-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Good Morning All,

Just finished using Sonus, all 3, and the Klaase AIO and SG. Then topped off with Collinite. The surface is slicker than snot on a door knob!!:shocked

I did put 4 coats of SG on it over the past few days.

I used this on our Saab 93 convertible that is mainly garaged kept.

My truck, a daily driver, I will probably stick with Zaino for now.

I plan on doing my wife`s CRV with the Sonus, Klaase, Collinite set up and see which is best over time.

Steve

Accumulator
04-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by horatiub

so, would you agree that sealants are probably better for lighter colors and carnubas for darker? at least, that`s what I read thru all the forums. What does everybody else think?

All just a matter of personal preference. My wife and I have Audis with the exact same silver paint. Hers has carnauba on it, mine has a sealant. They both look good but they look completely different. Most people would assume they`re two different paints. And FWIW, hers is a daily driver that she also uses for long trips and mine is quite pampered (an `01 with maybe 8K miles), sorta the opposite of what people might expect when it comes to our choices of LSPs.

imported_plazaman
04-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ExplorerXLT95

Um, why choose? How about both? :D :xyxthumbs

Get yourself some Klasse All-In-One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, let the HGSG set up for half a day or so, then add a quality carnauba on top (Souveran, P21S, S100, Poorboy`s, etc).... You`ll love the look :2thumbs:

out of of all of those waxes that you mentioned, which would have less dust collection.

Not so concerned about durability. 2-3 washes before reapplication is fine for me