PDA

View Full Version : Something about my windshield...

V8toytruck
04-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I can`t seem to get the surface of my windshield ready for the wipers. I use to use Rain-X, but took it off with some glass polish. But after I use the glass polish my wipers don`t work as well. Rain hits the glass and does not bead. Makes it very hard to see in the rain, the wipers seem like its leaving behind a thin layer of water. So I changed wipers 2 times. First with some bosch ones that didn`t last too long, and then decided to try triple edge on the driver side and pylon on the passenger side.

Right now the pylon side ($2 wiper), is doing better than the triple edge side ($9 silicone wiper). But I still can`t get a nice razor sharp clean wipe. There are always streaks in it. Any ideas? Should I go with OEM toyota ones?

imported_Axe
04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Taking off the Rain-X and then expecting the same results from your wipers alone might be a little ambitious ?

Put the Rain-X back on ? :nixweiss

zzyyzx
04-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I had a problem like that last year. Noticed that the streaks were appearing where the blade holder grasps the blade. I replaced the entire holder (not the arm) with OEM stuff and it works like new.

V8toytruck
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I thought it was the Rain-X that was causing the streaking, so thats why I thought I would start with a clean oil, grime, tar free glass so that my wipers can do a clean wipe. I even wiped down the blades with alcohol. No effect. When it starts to rain again in Socal I will try the OEM.

White95Max
04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Wash your windshield and wipers, and use 303 wiper treatment on the wiper blades, and VM on the glass.

I did this to 3 cars last week, and they all worked like new afterward. Before this, the blades were streaking, and in one case, chattering as well.

imported_pdsterns
04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
IMHO this is the way I think wipers should work, I have never read it anywhere, it is just my observation.

They should have a fair amount of pressure on the windshield and move freely in and out of the plane of the windshield, when they wipe left the blade should drag across the glass, when they reverse direction the blade should flop over and drag the other way. The blades should not be loose in the arm clips. If the blades do not flip easily they will studder or just wipe poorly. The arms can be bent to make them sit on the glass as described above.