PDA

View Full Version : New paint 2 different cars 2 diff kinds of paint

G1_integra
04-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok both my 89 integra and my 64 new yorker are getting sprayed in the next few weeks.

On the Integra it will be a clearcoat paintjobbut im undecieded on the color , but on the new yorker we are going to shoot enamel in the original dark blue color.

I live on a dirt road and I do not have a shed or garage.I will be buying a cover for both though to help with the pollen and leaves and such.

I want both of them to look thier best! I have not done much detailing on enamels before but I have been told it is alot easier.

The integra is now the daily driver and the new yorker is the show car untill I sell it.

What products and methods do you guys recommend for new paint ?

Accumulator
04-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Until the paint cures all you should do is use a fresh-paint-friendly product such as:

3M IHG, Mother`s Glaze, Meg`s #3/#5/#7/#81. There are others I`m not thinking of, but I prefer the Meg`s #5.

I never found single stage "easier" to work with than b/c. Some dark ss is soft, white ss is very hard, but generally I treat today`s modern ss about the same as b/c.

I do like the *look* of certain single stages better than b/c, but it`s hard to generalize. Watch that they don`t use something cheap on the Chrysler, there are some really crappy single stage enamels out there.

G1_integra
04-04-2005, 03:40 PM
well my dad and I will be doing the spraying and prep .. ect . SO we will not be going with anything generic.

So I should just use one of those products by itself? After wash or course. I know not to wax untill it finishes gassing , just not sure on the care untill then .

Accumulator
04-04-2005, 06:44 PM
OK, gotcha on the good enamel :xyxthumbs I`ll be looking forward to picks of that when it`s done! I have a long history with MOPAR "B" and "C" bodies and I especially like the latter.

Yeah, as long as you don`t need to do any correction (marring/other problems requiring abrasives) you can just use the #5/etc. on it after every wash until the pain finishes outgassing. #5 is really nice on fresh paint, user-friendly too. I`m using some 3m IHG on my wife`s car (reshot front bumper cover) and I`m reminded how much better the #5 is. The IHG is pretty crappy by comparison.

Heh heh, back when the New Yorker was new, people in my family used #5 on the (old-school) Chrylser factory paint, which wasn`t heat-cured like it is today. That car`s gonna think it`s been reincarnated and it`s 1964 all over again :D

If you *do* need to do some correction, remember to use a polish/compound that won`t leave "wax" behind (use something like Meg`s #80, 3M`s recently dicontinued PI-III RC and MG, etc.). And remember that the paint will be a bit soft for the first few weeks. I generally like to leave most correction go until the paint is pretty well cured. Othewise you can end up dong correctionn over and over again until it`s as hard as it`s gonna get. I`d usually rather just do it once after the paint is cured.