PDA

View Full Version : Strange situation

tooklean
12-04-2004, 06:04 PM
I sort of have a strange situation I could use some help with. I am a mobile operatore. I carry my own water and electricity but its getting cold outside and I have the opprotunity to rent a small garage that has electricity and the landlord said that I could use a small propane heater to warm the space. This garage has no water however there is a uwash directley across the street. would it be ethical to wash the vehicles at the uwash and then drive then back accross the street for the detailing?

TW85
12-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Why not carry your own water to the garage and use QEW?

CharlesW
12-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Not a professional, but.....
What you are considering is what I do for my own vehicles in the winter.
I knock off as much of the salt and crud as I can at the DIY spray wash, then finish cleaning with Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe in my garage. If I think I need to apply more products or do a detail, the vehicle is ready for either.

One word of caution. Any combustion type heater burns up the oxygen in a closed space pretty quickly. You can also accumulate some carbon monoxide. Both are very bad for your health. I heat my garage with a kerosene heater and keep the access door open about 6" until it is warm enough to work, then I turn off the heater, close the door and have at it. You don`t need to have it 75 dgrees. If you are in the 50 to 60 degree range, most products seem to work pretty good. Usually a Carhartt insulated vest over a flannel shirt and jeans is plenty of clothing. Quite often the vest is too much and has to come off.

Charles

tooklean
12-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the initial feedback. I could carry my own water however, the owner does not want any washing done in the garage.

edschwab1
12-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Tooklean,
If the land lord does not want any washing done on the premises, then a) comply and wash across the street b)explain or demo QEW or other low water or waterless washes to the landlord. What is your current wash method? Where are you located? What type of winters do you have in your area?
For the heater I would purchase an electric heater and wear an extra layer of clothing.

What are the dimensions of the garage? What type of lighting will you be working with? How many electrical outlets is there? How amp electrical service does the garage have? Will your clients want to drive to your location? What is the rent and utilities cost a month?

Eric

tooklean
12-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Eric lots of questions. My wash method is traditional Being that I`m Moblie washing is never a problem so long as I`m outdoors, The garage is 24x20, The winters in Pa can be harsh, The owner does not want me using an electrical heater. The diy wash is directly across the street. there is one outlet, the lighting is traditional. the rent is $125.00 and yes I would like for clients to drive to my shop.