PDA

View Full Version : waiting time before waxing after touch up paint?

ktlimq
04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I applied Mercedes-Benz Touch-Up Paint Stick on some spots on my car.

How long should I wait before waxing?

Accumulator
04-02-2005, 01:15 PM
I always wait at least six weeks, same as with any other repaint. But others go ahead and wax right away. See what you think after you get more responses.

salty
04-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Longer is better but i generally wait overnight. Being an used car detailer (mostly) i sometimes have to do it within a couple of hours. I try to speed it up with a heat gun (don`t overheat). If you don`t have too many spots and the paint doesn`t take, then reapply and wait longer.

94BlkStang
04-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ktlimq

I applied Mercedes-Benz Touch-Up Paint Stick on some spots on my car.

How long should I wait before waxing?

For the quick touchup paints, you should be fine after 24 hours. It`s not like you have a large surface that needs to let the solvents evaporate out. They also use very fast drying solvents in those touchup bottles. You can wet sand after 24 hours and then apply a polish to get rid of the sanding marks and then apply your top coat. This will give your touch up job a more professional look.:)

C. Charles Hahn
04-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by 94BlkStang

For the quick touchup paints, you should be fine after 24 hours. It`s not like you have a large surface that needs to let the solvents evaporate out. They also use very fast drying solvents in those touchup bottles. You can wet sand after 24 hours and then apply a polish to get rid of the sanding marks and then apply your top coat. This will give your touch up job a more professional look.:)

Bingo. I just wait overnight. Never had a problem yet, even when touching up larger areas.

ktlimq
04-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I submitted the question online at Mercedes-Benz USA web site yesterday and a customer service representative (he left his name, phone number and extension number) left a message on my answering machine this afternoon:

Wait overnight until the touch up paint is OK for waxing. Do not go over the touch up paint as hard as you might over the rest of the vehicle for the first waxing.

By the way, when the touch up paint leaves thicker layer than before, it means the solvent has evaporated too much and it is time to buy a new touch up stick. Right?

C. Charles Hahn
04-04-2005, 11:25 PM

I submitted the question online at Mercedes-Benz USA web site yesterday and a customer service representative (he left his name, phone number and extension number) left a message on my answering machine this afternoon:

Wait overnight until the touch up paint is OK for waxing. Do not go over the touch up paint as hard as you might over the rest of the vehicle for the first waxing.

By the way, when the touch up paint leaves thicker layer than before, it means the solvent has evaporated too much and it is time to buy a new touch up stick. Right?

no, usually that just means you put too much paint in the repair area -- you`ll either have to knock it down with a cutting pad and compound or wetsand it level with the rest of the paint.

ktlimq
04-04-2005, 11:53 PM
The paint really feels different. The paint became more viscous than it was when the paint stick was new.

Eliot Ness
04-05-2005, 12:08 AM

The paint really feels different. The paint became more viscous than it was when the paint stick was new.

I`ve also had that happen to bottles of touch-up paint after it has been opened and used a few times. After a period of time it will tend to thicken. When it`s too thick to flow properly then it`s time for a new bottle or stick.