PDA

View Full Version : Expected life of a 12" Subwoofer(s)

imported_MCA
04-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey folks,

I currently have a 12" Rockford-Fosgate XLC (RFP2412) subwoofer that I purchased in 1998. The sub has served me well since then w/o any sort of hiccups. I would like to know ppl`s opinions on the expected life of these/any subs in general. My ears have listened to them for so long that I do not know if they sound "as good" as I when I first bought them --> deterioration could be so slow and gradual that I might not have noticed.

Notes:

Rockford Fosgate G250 amplifier

Sealed Enclosure.

Thanks in advance guys/gals,

MCA

BoxsterCharlie
04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Check the surrounds around the edges of the cones for rot or cracks. That`s usually the failure mode for age.

dcswd
04-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I agree with BoxsterCharlie. You could also look at everything with it in general, as in wire connections and so on.

Otherwise I would think it should still be pretty good and it should still sound like it has always sounded.

JasonD
04-02-2005, 11:51 PM
If it sounds good to you, then its perfectly fine. Now if you have an itch to buy something new and want a reason, it`s seven years old so don`t feel too bad for laying it down to rest.

;)

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/557104__stereo_rear.jpg

V8toytruck
04-03-2005, 02:30 AM
I have had a SoloBaric in my truck for 3-4 years, still works great, before that it was in my friends Civic for 2 years or so. I apply 303 to the rubber around the cone just to keep it from drying and cracking.