PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions - Meguiars, etc.

04-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi folks;

I`ve used Meguiars 9, 7, and 26 by hand since 1990, when I bought my first new black car and asked a paint shop what was best to use on it and asked a guy with a black street rod what he used. I`ve been browsing the forums and I`m a bit overwhelmed by information, acronyms, and abbreviations. I see that Porter Cable makes a highly recommended buffer (I am terrified of using one based on a 10 year old experience with a behemoth buffer) so I am gradually considering one of those. Is Meguiars still generally the way to go for us non-pros?

What about black adhesive "sheet" trim on cars? What is the best way to restore that as it dulls and waterspots?

Finally, does No 7 still make Tire Black? I have some hideous whitewalls on new tires that need to go away. PepBoys told me it`s no longer sold, what do you guys use?

Here`s the current target: 1993 Volvo 245. Dark blue/ green good original paint, garage kept. Fine scratches here and there, someone apparently dragged a cardboard box or paper bag across the hood, leaving fine hairline scratches.

The black trim is around the windows, on the fenders and doors above the beltline.

The whitewalls are on another car, a 1983 Buick full size wagon that is my "truck". This car has very neglected Maaco repaint, dull/oxidized. I was considering Meguiars Fine Cut for this, followed by the ol` 9, 7, and 26.

I might as well mention right now that I have a car sickness.....I`ve owned close to 80 cars, I typically have 4 or 5 at a time. A lot of people have learned that I have this weakness so they gravitate to me when they have something to sell....

Thanks in advance, this is a great site dedicated to something I know nothing about but would like to learn!

Accumulator
04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
888- Welcome to Autopia!

Your "sickness" sounds about like mine, though I`ve had it for a few more years :D

Sorry, but I really don`t have many good answers to your specific Qs. I`d hate to recommend something for the black film and have it be a bad idea (best thing is to protect it in the first place, but that`s not of much help now, huh). Using #7 and topping it with #26 sure wouldn`t *hurt* anything.

On the whitewalls, I`d have them remounted with the blackwall side showing.

I dunno about using the #2 Fine Cut. Other people have had good results with it but *I* sure didn`t (and coincidentally enough, I was using it on a volvo 245 wagon, but an `84). Funny, because I used to use it on single stage all the time :nixweiss I`d probably get some #80 Speed Glaze instead. User friendly and enough cut for minor marring. I`d worry that the #2 would leave hazing that the #9 wouldn`t remove.

I myself generally find 3M polishes/compounds and 1Z brand polishes easier to use than Meguiar`s stuff. Not a slam at Meg`s but it`s a big enough difference that I basically don`t use the Meguiar`s (abrasive) polishes any more. FWIW, I don`t get any real satisfaction from using #7 on basecoat/clear paint, though it`s pretty nice on some single stage.

You would do fine with the PC. I`ve had people from young kids to the elderly up to speed with it in a matter of minutes. If anything, most people find it`s not quite as aggressive as they`d *like*.

Watch you don`t get polish on the black trim of that Volvo. Some products will stain it something awful, at least if you let them dry on it.

04-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I`m seeing a lot on here about 3M, don`t know anything about 1Z.

Is 1Z easy to find? Most paint shops seem to handle 3M.

Is there any published "equivalency reference" between 3M/1Z and Meguiars? Meaning 3M polish x = Meguiar`s 7 or are 3M/1Z products well decsribed on the container and pretty straightforward to choose?

thanks again

Accumulator
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
888- The 1Z can be tricky to find these days. I`d check PakShack (see links on Autopia home page). Yeah, 3M is pretty easy to find.

There is a thread about the aggressiveness of various abrasives. Not *perfectly* accurate, but pretty close. Sorry, I don`t lhave a link to it handy.

There are only five commonly referenced 1Z polishes and for the 3M stuff you can make it *really* simple. Just get the recently discontinued (but still commonly available) PI-III RC and PI-III MG (pns 05933 and 05937). Those will work for about 90% of most people`s polishing jobs, by hand, PC, or even rotary.

If you need any specific comparisons, just post a Q and somebody will have the answer.

04-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I`ll look for the 3M and give it a try.

Also found some references to a Meguiars 83 DACP (dual action cleaner polish??) being good. I`ll run a trial on thses new options and see what works the best for me.

Best regards

wannafbody
04-02-2005, 04:06 PM
for PC use Poorboys or 3m line or Megs #80 - Mothers PowerPolish is a good locally available choice as well

serwaxalot
04-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey there 888!!

I could`nt help but see you are a Meg`s user. That #26 used to be my favorite! I used to call her "OLD FAITHFUL". If you like the # 26 try the P21S wax. It`s to die for! I`m sorry that I can`t help you with your polishing questions. As you`ll see, there`s a lot of "Autopians" on this site who really know there products. When in doubt, email David Bynon at Autopia or read his "how to`s" on the Autopia site. It`s great info including recommended products.

Have fun!!!!!

04-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks to all......

Off to the paint store....