PDA

View Full Version : #7 and Zaino.

V8toytruck
04-01-2005, 04:13 AM
This is what I did recently on my Tundra tailgate which suffers from what I believe to be compounding haze leftover from what I thought was a pro detailer. He didn`t wash my tailgate before going at it with an unknown product and a dewalt rotary with a wool pad. My tailgate has been dull for the past year (since my absense from Autopia) but protected with Z. I bought a PC and want to try to fix it.

#9 with PC (OEM pad since I didn`t get my pads yet) at 2.5kRPM

#7 by hand

Dawn wash

Zaino

I did the dawn wash to make sure the Zaino properly adheres, and was wondering did I just waste my time doing the #7? Should I go from the #9 directly to dawn and Zaino?

I have propel pads that just arrived and some FI-II, how should I attack the compounding haze? Because what I did earlier didn`t make a difference.

termigator
04-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I think you`re better off skipping the #7 and dawn wash afterwards. You should do the Dawn wash and the very beginning and that`s it. Do #9 or FI-II adn then wipe with Z6 before putting on the Z. If you don`t have Z6, then definitely use the FI-II before Zaino.

Mad iX
04-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Yup I`d go with FP-II, wipe it off then Zaino. #9 could work too.

#7 isn`t so good when you want to put a sealant over it, even if you dawn wash it.

imported_memnuts
04-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Yes, it was a wasted effort with the #7 (better suited for SS paint also) and #7 has little if any cleansing or polishing ability. #7 is basically a glaze/filler product with oils that will interfer with Z bonding. The fillers and oils were removed with the Dawn wash. FP-II followed by Z6 or Z7 (1 cap full in 32oz water) wipedown will work very well as a prep for Zaino. You may consider using IP is remove the haze more efficiently than follow-up with FP-II.

Hope this helps. :wavey

Accumulator
04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
I"d crank up the speed when doing the polishing. I do about 99% of my PC polishing at speed 6. Use the FI-II to remove the compounding haze and see if it looks OK. You might have to follow up with the #9. But #9 is *awfully* mild, IMO.

Yeah, the #7 is a nonabrasive (Meg`s term = "pure polish") glaze that didn`t add anything to what you`re trying to do. The Dawn wash cleaned away anything contributed by the #7.

The following Meguiar`s products are nonabrasive "pure polishes", i.e., "glazes" in the traditional meaning of the term:

#3/#5/#7/#81 I would expect any of these to be completely removed by a Dawn wash (which is good, as they`d almost certainly interfere with the Zaino).

V8toytruck
04-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replys, Im going to try the FI-II when I have some free time, as for the #7 I guess I`ll give it to someone who uses carnuba.

termigator
04-01-2005, 02:37 PM
You`re talking about Finesse it II, right? I noticed some folks saying FP II, which is Final Polish II, a Menzerna product. Either will work, though.:)