PDA

View Full Version : Using a rotary dremel or the alike

01bluecls
04-01-2005, 01:26 AM
I was looking into getting a dremmel rotary tool for stuff around the house and not to mention for detailing ;)

My question is for anyone that has the dremmel tools, have you found ways to retrofit tools/stuff to make polishing things like wheels or stainless steel more effective or faster. I was thinking of getting a small rotary tool and placing a 2-3 inch plate on the end. Then somehow superglue 3 inch foam pad cut out on the end. Any one do something similar to this?

I think this would be a good way to polish wheels effectively. Of course one would have to side with caution when doing something like this.

Eliot Ness
04-01-2005, 02:33 AM
I love my Dremel, but for detailing I don`t use it much. I recently bought some more little felt polish attachments for it for wheels (with AIO), but wasn`t real thrilled with the outcome.

Are you thinking of using a Dremel with a 3" foam pad "jerry-rigged" to it? I think the Dremel would bog down with something that large on it used for polishing a wheel, but maybe I`m not picturing what you are thinking about correctly. I think the new Mothers PowerBall on a good cordless drill would be a much better option. Just my 2 cents......

Super
04-01-2005, 07:05 AM
I have 4" or 5 " soft, med, and wool polishing pads on a velcro backing plate on my cordless drill. I use it sometimes on mirrors, medal polishing and for small places like grills, rims, trailer hitches, I find the cordless drill with pads a time saver

togwt
04-01-2005, 10:18 AM
You could try this with an electric drill-

Mushroom Buff 3-inch with a ¼-inch Mandrel

Allow you to access tight spaces with these buffing wheels, the fine-weave cotton of this mushroom-shaped buff works faster than conventional felt bobs and also lasts longer. The 1/4" smooth shaft resists slipping in your drill chuck while its plastic ferrule prevents scratching the recessed areas of your work piece. The Facer Buffs are used for getting into tighter areas, 1, and 2 or 3-inch sizes available. (Eastwood`s Mushroom Buff)

JonM

01bluecls
04-01-2005, 11:00 AM
I was looking into the power ball, but its seems it looks like ball of shredded paper. Exaggerating alot of that comment. My father has an air compressor machine in the garage. I was thinking of buying a air compressed powered dremel than it has like a 3 inch shaft on it. At the end of the shaft you can have a flat sanding disc that is about 2 or 3 inches in diameter than glued to that a 3-4 inch foam polishing pad. I figured it would just like a rotary on paint. Having the high speed polishing action that couldnt be replicated by hand. I mainly concerned with polishing the "face" on the wheel not so much the inside of the wheel. I might try to "jerry-rig" one the power drills i already have before I go out and buy a little dremel for 50 bucks.

Alex Creasey
04-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I use a dremel type tool for doing the polished lips on my wheels. Very handy and certainly saves alot of time......... It was a good excuse to buy another toy as well!!! :D.

01bluecls
04-01-2005, 11:04 AM
MMMMMmmm I see that Skyline in your avatar....drrooooollll!!!!