PDA

View Full Version : Diluting KSG with Water?

TigMSM
03-31-2005, 08:05 PM
After reading lots of posts as a complete neophyte, bought a 16oz spray bottle for applying KSG. The recommended use is about 1oz for an entire car, and I have small car, but 1oz in a 16oz bottle is not much. Itâ€â„¢s hard to get a consistent spray. Since the Bill North WOWO method recommends wetting a terry covered foam applicator, why not just dilute the KSG in the bottle and spray it into the applicator before wiping it on the car? If this works, it will be easy apply a really thin coat.

I tried this and it seems to bead up a lot though as it dries, it leaves a film everywhere. A few thicker spots that are a bit harder to get off with a MF towel. Either moisture from my breath or just more rubbing removes â€Ëœem.

Is there a better but still cheap liquid to use to apply KSG?

imported_DetailGirl
03-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Welcome to Autopia!

Truth be told I have never heard of diluting SG with water. I always apply it by PC with a finishing pad. It allows a very thin layer. Otherwise by hand with a microfiber pad and a little QD.

Eliot Ness
03-31-2005, 08:29 PM
There are smaller spray bottles you could use, I got some 2 oz ones that work really well for misting products. You don`t *need* to use a sprayer with SG, you don`t even need to put it in a smaller bottle, but I do like using smaller plastic bottles (both spray and flip-top).

All you need to do is put a small (nickel or dime) spot of SG on a MF covered foam applicator and apply it really, really thin. The more sections you do the less you`ll have to apply to your applicator because it will have absorbed some product.

SG is a sealer that should remain dry while it cures, by adding water to the mix I think you`ll compromise the SG. Like many other products, I think people run into problems with SG by not applying it thin enough. Here is one source for small bottles if you can`t find any locally (Wal-Mart, craft stores, etc.):

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=213

They have both spray and flip-top styles of the small bottles. HTH

Corey Bit Spank
03-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I agree with Eliot.

imported_Bence
03-31-2005, 08:54 PM
A damp applicator and diluting is two worlds! And although AIO is water soluble, SG is not.

imported_JellyBean
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
I`ve been using diluted KSG as a "booster" since I got my first bottle of KSG. I dilute it 6:1 (water-product) and spray & wipe after washing. It leaves the treated surface (paint, glass, trim) very slick, and it doesn`t streak at all.

Last week I polished my silver hood with #80, and then applied the diluted KSG on one side and the full strength KSG on the other. I couldn`t see or feel the difference between the two sides. My very critical better half couldn`t either. By the way, my washer and dryer were the guinea pigs, and they`re still gleaming since the first application back in August 2004.

grt1today
04-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I personally would not dilute it. There`s a big difference between using a damp pad at the start to help it spread vs diluting the product...

ntoddalbert
04-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Our own David B uses sonus to dilute or at least advised me to once. Sure made SG easy to remove, not that I find it hard undilluted. I use it straight simply because im out of Sonus. The small bottle is a great way to ensure your using the right amount, think of it as your Klasse training wheels, if your using too much with the big bottle its not as easy to see.

regarding the Sonus acrylics spritz dillution, I forget the ratio but David did post it once......Didnt seem for me to effect longevity but honestly thats a hard call

DantePasquale
04-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I would not dilute with water either.

It is better and easier to remove KSG if you put it on thin, but using 2 oz. rather than 1 oz. to cover your car is fine. It should still be pretty thin, and come off easily.:up

superstring
04-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Posted by Bence

A damp applicator and diluting is two worlds! And although AIO is water soluble, SG is not.

I`m curious about the rationalization behind this statement. AIO and SG are both acrylic products, right? I`ve always thought this meant (among other things) "soluble in water" (at least until cured). If it weren`t, why use a damp applicator. :confused: (BTW I have always found SG a lot easier to remove with a damp cloth rather than a dry one).

Mikeman
04-02-2005, 11:43 PM
The AIO instructions specifically state in bold letters to use a DAMP applicator. The SG instructions do not state this. I read on one site awhile back that AIO could be diluted, and used as a QD.

David B`s SG/Sonus ratio is 75/25 if I recall.

I almost always have trouble removing SG, no matter how thin I apply it. If it`s thick enough to see, it`s too thick to remove for me. The best fix for this problem, for me anyway, is a MF dampened with Sonus Acrylic Spritz. It takes me about two ounces of Spritz to remove a 1 oz layer of SG. Someday I`ll try the David B 75/25 mixture. I think the Sonus Spritz is very compatible with SG. In fact, I think it was created with SG in mind.

Mikeman out.

foxtrapper
04-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Contrary to the claim made, SG is most certainly water soluble.

I`ve applied it both wet and dry. It`s easier to work with when using a damp applicator. BUT...it makes it harder to figure out if you`re actually laying down SG, or just smearing water. Since you work with SG at a very minute level, it`s easy to to mistake water left from the damp applicator as SG.

I`ve never gotten around to trying a spritzer of some type to put the SG on the sponge, but it makes sense. Applying a little dolop to the sponge creates a very small area, while spritzing would cover a larger area, making the application to the vehicle more effective and uniform.