PDA

View Full Version : If detailing a late model Nissan Pathfinder, read this...

stilez
03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Regarding the paint on late model Nissan Pathfinders (96+), the bumper paint is VERY thin. I`m talking bible paper thin.

I have detailed two of these vehicles, both of which I ended up doing paint repair free of charge due to the THIN paint. This occurred on 2 different year/different trim level Pathfinders and only on the front/rear bumpers. The rest of the paint buffed out just fine.

I buffed with a very mild polish with almost no pressure and the paint buffed off. I ended up sanding the area, touching up x 2, wetsanding, compounding, and polishing all by hand. It was a PITA, but needed to be done to save me. The areas came out like new and thank goodness the owners had touch-up paint.

From now on, I will only do these bumpers by hand. The first time, I figured it was a fluke or something, but the second got me thinking the rest are like this. Just beware...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03142.jpg

A pic for reference.

googledude
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
hmm this looks familiar!

I second this warning. I have dont the same thing on the rear bumper of a `01 patherfinder (which was my dads) trying to buff out a scratch with a rotarty and it was like a magic trick.

***spoof***

:mark stops and scratches head:

"WHERE DID THE PAINT GO!!!!????"

Yeah thats pretty much how it goes with a bit of obscene language.

Scottwax
03-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I won`t even assume a PC is safe on one of those based on both of y`alls warning.

Oh yeah, don`t get the console wet on a 97-01 Mercedes. There is a transmission control switch that is extremely water sensitive. $1000 or so to replace and it won`t be covered under warranty and the vehicle is not driveable until it is replaced.

Setec Astronomy
03-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Oh yeah, don`t get the console wet on a 97-01 Mercedes. There is a transmission control switch that is extremely water sensitive. $1000 or so to replace and it won`t be covered under warranty and the vehicle is not driveable until it is replaced.

How did you come by this information, Scott? :shocked

Porkanbeans
03-31-2005, 10:12 PM
I`ll tell you how I came by this information. :D

My dad was driving his 2001 E320 on the highway at about 80mph. He spilled his Big Gulp full of Diet Coke. The car shut down right there, in the middle of the freeway. He said it was scary as hell. The dealer was nice enough to cover the repairs for him. BTW, that`s the whole electronic module down there if I`m not mistaken, so yeah, don`t get it wet.

edit- I think it was right at $1000 value in repairs.

imported_DetailGirl
04-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah we have a Nissan and their paint is thin. That is my only complaint about Nissans. The only thing that might hold us back from buying one again

J.J.
04-02-2005, 08:47 PM
What a life saver. I have a black pathfinder just like the one in the above picture. I was going to begin my routine in the next couple of weeks, so let me get this straight, how do I remove any scratches from the bumpers? Can I use the SSR 2.5 or 1 by hand and be perfectly fine? Is the paint on the rest of truck just as thin and therefore dangerous?

Thanks for the warning,

JJ

stilez
04-04-2005, 10:57 AM
JJ: By hand at most. I would suggest touching it up first. Don`t try to `move/blend` the paint with polish. It is so thin, it`s almost transparent.

boywonder
04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
GSR: Thanks for the info.

Scottwax
04-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

How did you come by this information, Scott? :shocked

I read it in Professional Car Washing and Detailing magazine. Their website is www.carwash.com and they include tips like that regularly.

imported_ajbarnes
04-06-2005, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I won`t even assume a PC is safe on one of those based on both of y`alls warning.

:eek: Thanks for the heads up!! I`m doing a 1997 E class on Thursday. First time doing an older model benz...normally 2003 and newer.

trueblueblood
04-10-2005, 12:38 AM

I read it in Professional Car Washing and Detailing magazine. Their website is www.carwash.com and they include tips like that regularly.

Are they published by obscure sports quarterly also:D ;) !