PDA

View Full Version : Souveran on Wheels?

crobinso
03-31-2005, 09:54 AM
I love looking at all of the pics of cars that have been waxed with Souveran. They are breathtaking. I was wondering, can carnauba wax be put on wheels? Would I be wasting product (and money) by doing so?

Thanks,

Charles

wannafbody
03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
:shocked - don`t waste the PS-use a sealant like NXT, Zaino or Collinite 845

grt1today
03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
If you do try that, put the twins underneath first...

crobinso
03-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by grt1today

If you do try that, put the twins underneath first... Hmm, that sounds reasonable...

I wonder if anyone has tried this, and did they get good results? (Shine, durability, etc.)

Charles

Pats300zx
03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
I used to use the K twins on my wheels all the time for protection. Recently I broke out the chrome wheels on my F150 for a spring cleanup and to put them on the truck.

I used Klasse AIO and Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I was blown away at how great they looked. Everyone was asking me if I had just got new wheels for the truck....:xyxthumbs

This is my first time using the PB`s so I am curious to see how wheel it holds up at keeping brake dust off etc.

SilverLexus
03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Like Pat said, AIO and Poorboys Wheel Sealant work great.

PB Wheel Sealant has really kept the brake dust down for me, even after 3 weeks. :)

grt1today
03-31-2005, 11:26 AM
You guy`s said that it`s safe for chrome wheels right(PB wheel sealant)? If so, I`m gonna have to pick some up?

SilverLexus
03-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Check with Poorboy but I`m pretty sure it is safe for chrome.

SpoiledMan
03-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Yep, says for chrome right on the label. I used it on chrome wheels yesterday and it worked like a charm. The owner commented that his wheels didn`t sparkle as much when they were new.

Accumulator
03-31-2005, 01:02 PM
I`ve used Souveran on the XJS`s wheels (over Autoglym SRP). Looks good for a little while, but doesn`t deal with heat/brakedust well on the fronts. It`s the sort of thing I only do when I`m really after a short-term "wow factor". Might do it if I show it this year, for instance. But not something I`d ever do on a normal car for "real" use.

[Edited for spelling :o]

jetskie
03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Brakes get as hot as 300-400 degrees so carnuba wax is a waste of time as it will not stay on it. You`ll get the similar looks with a sealant and it will hold up to the heat. On that note wheels cleaner are harsh so it will remove any protectant. Use soap and water to clean after you put a sealant on the wheels.

Accumulator
03-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah, there`s a dramatic difference in how the Souveran holds up on the Jag`s front wheels and the rear ones (inboard rear disc brakes = no real heat). FWIW, the general drivetrain heat of that car is awfully hard on Souveran anyhow.

But I *have* found that on "normal cars driven by normal people" some carnaubas hold up surprisingly well. Collinite`s 476S and #16 have both lasted quite well in certain applications. Not the stuff for track days though ;)

AlexRuiz
03-31-2005, 04:22 PM
I say don`t do it... if you don`t know what to do with your souveran I can take it from your hand ;)

My current combos are:

- Nufinish topped with collinite 845

- Mothers wheel polish topped with collinite 845

Why nufinish? It is a sealant, with very strong cleaning properties within striking distance of Klasse AIO. Looks very good on wheels, and has very good durability. Top it with the slick #845 and you wheels are set to go. However, I got the bug of dedicated wheel coatings, so very likely I will be trying poorboys wheel sealant.

crobinso
04-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by AlexRuiz

I say don`t do it... if you don`t know what to do with your souveran I can take it from your hand ;)

Heh, that`s funny, Alex.

THANKS, EVERYONE, for your replies, advice, and caveats. It looks like I`ll be investing in some Poorboy`s sealant, too. I want my wheels to shine, shine, shine for a long time.

BTW, I haven`t detailed my car since December 31st (don`t flame me), yet the car has maintained a beautiful shine. The last product I used on it was 4 Star`s spray wax. I am amazed at how long the shine has held, the water beading factor has lasted, etc.

However, I`ve got that bug to do some detailing, so I will do both my car and my wife`s "new" car (bought her a 2000 Focus in December). If I have enough energy left, I`ll snap some pics and post `em. :D

Charles