PDA

View Full Version : Rotary w/foam pad...will it still

klnyc
03-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi,

Can a foam pad burn thru CC? I heard the wool pads it would have higher chance of burning the paint then the foam pad(i.e. LC pads). So, can someone clearify that? :confused:

White95Max
03-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes the foam pads can still burn through. They create plenty of heat to burn through the clear. Just don`t keep the pad in one spot for too long, and don`t apply too much pressure.

klnyc
03-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Pual, I know you order your CE rotary. I`m here still debating. Should I go for the Makita 9227(159.99) or the CE rotary for 25.00 :nixweiss. See, with m9227, I can atleast(which I think) start off at 600rpm. Whereas CE Rotary is start at 1000 rpm. I`m abit nervous with that rpm range.

Hahah noob on rotary training you know :o

White95Max
03-30-2005, 11:24 PM
I thought the CE started at 600RPM too? If not, I have an old minivan to practice on, so at least I won`t have to use 1000rpm on a customer car or anything. Not before I`m comfortable with it at least.

klnyc
03-31-2005, 08:53 AM
Hmm, anyone can confirm that? Hella of nice, if start at 600 rpm. Me too, I have a 1991 Hond Civic Si(B18 Inside) to pratice on too :up

6']['9
03-31-2005, 09:50 AM
both a foam pad and a wool pad can burn thru CC. I think the foam pad will cause more swirls than a wool pad cause the foam pad retains heat more and a wool pad has areas to realease heate through fibers. either way if your careful you should be fine.

the other pc
03-31-2005, 11:52 AM
You are more likley to burn the finish with a foam pad because they build up heat faster (due to higher surface contact (i.e. friction) and high insulating properties).

You will swirl the finish more with a wool pad because the fibers tend to scratch (due to higher surface pressure of each individual fiber distributed over the polishing area).

As for one polisher vs. another, I always choose the higher quality tool. How many times over the coarse of your life have you said to yourself, "damn, I should have bought the crappier one"?

If you`re concerned about speed and technique (which is good for somebody new to the rotary) start out with a very gentle combination until you get the hang of it. Start with a finishing or polishing pad rather than a cutting pad and apply waxes, sealants or glazes with no cutting ability at all. Then work up to more aggressive products as you get comfortable with it.

I would highly recommend a copy of Meg`s polishing video (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=PES-VIDEO&store=meg).

PC.