PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to clay a new paint job?

imported_Jinba ittai
03-30-2005, 10:01 PM
I got my car repainted completely about 4 months ago and then put it away for the winter. Now it`s out of storage and I`m getting ready to apply the full Zaino treatment. I`m wondering if I need to clay the car before starting to apply the Zaino.

It`s been driven only 10 miles since the paint job. Last week it was driven 5 miles through the rain so it has some water spotting and is somewhat dirty but not filthy.

I have the Zaino Z-18 clay. Should I wait to clay for when the car really gets dirty or does the new paint need it now?

White95Max
03-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I would clay it now. There could be some overspray from the paint job, or there might just be a few embedded contaminants in the paint.

If there aren`t many contaminants in the paint, it should be VERY easy to clay anyway, so it won`t take much time or effort.

I say clay it.

dternst
03-30-2005, 10:37 PM
New cars need to be clayed just as much as an older car.

imported_Jinba ittai
03-30-2005, 10:51 PM
It`s not a new car. It`s 4 years old but it was repainted completely.

togwt
03-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Youâ€â„¢re going to wash it, the application of clay will add perhaps 20 minutes or less, my advice is to clay the paintâ€Â¦

JonM

imported_Jinba ittai
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a plan. It`s also been sitting in the garage without a cover for 4 months so perhaps some contaminants have gotten on it during that time. Can`t hurt and I do have the clay! Might as well use it. I just wanted to make sure. :)