PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please!

J.J.
03-30-2005, 08:23 PM
No doubt, I`m a newbie in need of some advice. I will be using the following on black swirled paint and would love some advice and recommendations. I have already purchased the Medallion line, although I wish I`d done more research on the Klasse AIO and Glaze before I bought the Megs. My main questions revolve around swirl remover and pad selection (DAS pads}. I received some advice in a previous post that I have incorporated here.

Here it is

1. Wash

2. Clay Magic

3. DACP / PB SSR 2 then 1 / 2.5 then 1

a. which is more aggresive/ least aggressive?

b. Pad recommendations for each? Orange/ Yellow maybe... dunno

4. MMPC w/ green polishing pad

a. Are 3 and 4 in the right order

5. MMPP

a blue pad

In a perfect world, I could use the DACP (or the like) with an yellow/orange pad and remove the majority of the swirls --> MMPC with the green pad for a good cleaning ---> and MMPP with the blue pad

Thanks for any and all advice,

JJ

imported_liam
03-30-2005, 08:35 PM
i had some badly swirled dark blue paint to deal with not long ago. what brand pads are you using??? i use propel. so i`ll tell you colour i used.

used orange with SSR2.5.. did two passes... got i`d say 90% of swirls out, left some micromarring...

SSR1 green pad two passes.

got the paint pretty good... still some deeper swirls left.

if you have a yellow, i guess you should try that with 2.5... but it will leave lotsa micromarring on black. you might have to go green SSR1, then even blue SSR1.

just trial and error on a small patch (say a door) till you get the results you want. remember the process and away you go.

be warned it will take a while to do all those passes! :D

i haven`t used medalions range so can`t comment, but SSr1 with blue shouldn`t leave much...

post some piccys when your done ;)

J.J.
03-30-2005, 10:19 PM
After visiting the Chat I will try this process:

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. SSR 2.5 w/ green first then orange if swirls not removed

4. SSR 1 with green to remove macromarring

5. MMPC

6. MMPP

Lots of work will show pics eventually

JJ

Alfisti
03-31-2005, 06:53 AM
If your usong SSR 2.2 and 1, why do you want to use MMPC? It seems a bit redundant.

J.J.
03-31-2005, 08:29 AM
DO you think I should eliminate that step? I thought paint cleaners where suppoed to lay the foundation for the LSP (MMPP)

JJ

sQuashed
03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
The SSR 1 polish (if you`re eyes agree) leaves a ready for LSP finish and since it doesnt contain any fillers, a paint cleaner isnt totally nessassary. BUT... I love to use my paint cleaner, AIO, before the LSP. It just makes me feel better about my vehicle knowing that extra step was taken.

6']['9
03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by J.J.

No doubt, I`m a newbie in need of some advice. I will be using the following on black swirled paint and would love some advice and recommendations. I have already purchased the Medallion line, although I wish I`d done more research on the Klasse AIO and Glaze before I bought the Megs. My main questions revolve around swirl remover and pad selection (DAS pads}. I received some advice in a previous post that I have incorporated here.

Here it is

1. Wash

2. Clay Magic

3. DACP / PB SSR 2 then 1 / 2.5 then 1

a. which is more aggresive/ least aggressive?

b. Pad recommendations for each? Orange/ Yellow maybe... dunno

4. MMPC w/ green polishing pad

a. Are 3 and 4 in the right order

5. MMPP

a blue pad

In a perfect world, I could use the DACP (or the like) with an yellow/orange pad and remove the majority of the swirls --> MMPC with the green pad for a good cleaning ---> and MMPP with the blue pad

Thanks for any and all advice,

JJ

id go ssr2.5 then 1 and do your lsp. You dont need a paint cleaner unless you want to do it. Most paint cleaners are good bases for LSP`s however so are Glazes and some final Polishes.

In a perfect world i would never use DACP for swirls cause IMHO it doesnt work. Id reach for the menzerna. If you get some kind of micromarring from the ssr2.5 that the ssr1 wont remove then try using the DACP.

J.J.
03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
So this will be the final process then:

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. SSR 2.5 w/ green first then orange if swirls not removed

4. SSR 1 with green to remove macromarring

5. MMPP

Sounds good people. The fewer steps the better!

Anyone have any advice for the application of the 2.5. Never used it before, so I don`t know how much to use or the application process. Anyone with good advice?

JJ

JeffM
03-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Spread the polish on the paint with PC off

Set pc to speed of 3ish and spread polish again

Crank pc up to 5-6 make slow arm passes

The downward pressure should cause the pad to slow down its rotation, but not too much(on 5 and 6)

After a few passes, lighten up on the downward pressure and try to buff to a higher gloss, removing marring that is left.

To begin, make a pretty good "X" on the pad, and work it around and into the pad with your fingers. Now make a thinner "X"

After 2 or so times, you might be able to just do a one sided "X" or "/" with the polish.

Stop polising when the product is clear, the next step is it dusting-Dark cars

Stop polishing when you see alittle bit of dust, wipe product off-light cars.

Marring is caused from either an aggressive polish, an aggressive pad, not working the polish until it breaks down-removing too early, or buffing with a dry pad, from working the polish too long.

Or dirt that has found its way under your pad.

Make sure everything is clean, including inside of door jams, wheelwells, lips in the trunk area ,under hood lip area .

I like to spray and wipe these areas(except wheelwells) before i start my pc up.

Wipe off with quality microfiber.

To remove dust, i like to use spray and wipe, but some people just wash the car before their LSP.