PDA

View Full Version : rough winter...rust spots

DaGonz
03-30-2005, 07:36 PM
My faire city recieved it`s share of snow this year, and the DPW did an admirable job of keeping the streets cleared. herin lieds the problem..

On the front bumper of my F-150, I have noticed tiny rust spots appearing. Nevr Dull removed a lot of the spotting and I waxed the bumper, but the spotting came back. Other than replacing the front bumper, what can I do to remove said spots and keep them from returning?

White95Max
03-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Did you try clay?

forrest@mothers
03-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Rust is where the chrome plating is gone from a steel substrate (I ssume you mean your F-150).

The only proper fix is a replate. I`m sure you can buy a replated bumper inexpensively for the most popular vehicle sold.

buldog
03-31-2005, 07:02 PM
What can be done to help slow this process? Are stone chips the main reason?

Blackmirror
03-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I have rust spots on my F150 HD but its from stone chips. You have a chrome bumper right? If so I`m with forrest on this one on replating as the best solution.

Jesstzn
04-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Most of the F-150s up here .. even some new ones that sat on the lot most the winter show this rusting.. Yet you go across the street to the Chev dealer and the 1500s over there show nothing ..

I don`t feel Ford chrome plates very well or its not layered etc .. Seems to be a very common problem.

Once the pit starts to rust there seems to be no stopping it .. Give a few layers of Klasse a try .. might slow it some.

If your going the replate route make sure your not just going back to where you came from .. If you have a plating shop in your town talk to them .. You might get a better job for +/- the same $$.