PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking to polish a 7yr old car

Quant
03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I`m looking to polish a 7 year old Chrysler Concorde that has NOT been taken good care of. I do not have the PorterCable, but will be borrowing a "generic" polisher from a friend. I have been reading this forum for a while now, and have been turned into an enthusiast, but with 2 kids and a family and a full time job, I will not be able to devote a lot of time to this more than a couple of times a year.

These are the steps I intend to do.

1. Dawn Wash

2. Pinnacle Clay

3. Use a swirl remover polish.

Since I am a newb, I am looking for some comments regarding the ease of use regarding two products that I have access to - Manzerna Intensive Polish,

OR

Poor Boys SSR 2.5 and 2 (maybe 1 as well?).

Comments regarding the next steps will also be very helpful:

4. Manzerna Final Polish II

5. Klausse AIO

6. Zaino Z-2 Pro

Thanks.

JeffM
03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
If the gerneric polisher is an orbital, then it is really only for applying and removing waxes.

You will have to do the real polishing by hand.

I would say clay, and colorX, and scratchX here and there unless you have the dicipline to do the whole car with scratchX.

Then top with NXT wax, you will hide more swirls than you can imagine with colorX and NXT, and it will look very good :)

imported_Sullybob
03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
I would skip the Dawn wash. JBM has some good suggestions. If you have never tried to remove swirls or scratches by hand before you will be in for a suprize. It is hard work. If you use anything with fillers in it you will want to skep the AIO as it will remove the fillers.

Quant
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
I`m not really interested in using fillers. I think that I might not able to get all the swirls out. However, I had the rear bumper and one passenger door repainted a month ago, and would like to get the shine on the rest of the car "evened out".

The non-wax LSPs that I want to use (for durability) would not work well with oil fillers. I might try Zaino Z-5 for fillers as the first LSP coat before Z2pro.

As far as the generic polisher, I still do not know what kind it is. My friend will bring it over tomorrow. I don`t mind working by hand, in fact I`ll probably enjoy it more.

Any suggestions as to whether SSR or Manzerna is easier to use by someone inexperienced with removing swirls, and how it is to use by hand?

wannafbody
03-31-2005, 08:49 PM
if you don`t have a PC you might try the NuFinish micropolish (PepBoys) to remove the swirls