PDA

View Full Version : Another foam gun question - how much soap?

Spilchy
03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey guys, I got my foam gun :woot:

Very nice brass and heavy plastic construction :up

However, I would like to know how much car wash soap do you put in the container and on what setting do you leave it on?

I can set it on 1 oz. per gallon, 2 oz. per gallon, etc...

Do you just put the car wash soap in the plastic container and let her rip?

I am looking to have enough soap so I may spray the whole car to get a nice coat on while I wash.

Gosh, I can`t wait to "foam down" my car :p

Thanks

Accumulator
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
This is getting embarassing for me :o

For all my foamgun talk and all the times I`ve used it, I don`t have a good answer for this! I *can* say that I sure wouldn`t fill the gun`s bottle with straight shampoo.

I mix up a jug of mix and then fill the gun from that. Maybe 3-4 ounces to a gallon of water. I just adjust it until it "looks right". If it ends up being way too strong/weak, I merely adjust it with the gun`s sliding mixing valve.

Of course this works with the way *I* use the foamgun. A different approach might need a different dilution.

Bill D
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
I use it on the lowest setting possible that will remove typical dirt. FWIW, the lowest setting with some diluted NXT wash has done me well. Do not fill the container real close to the brim, you might wind up with limited foam output; at least that`s what Mark at Pal told me.

Sometimes the foam gun might call for another "reload" of soap, depends on the specific situation. It`s not a big deal for me, I just pause, turn off the hose and add more. Also remember, the more mitts the merrier :2thumbs:

I think you`ll find you`ll never want to wash with a simple bucket set up alone again :D

opass
03-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

This is getting embarassing for me :o

I mix up a jug of mix and then fill the gun from that. Maybe 3-4 ounces to a gallon of water. I just adjust it until it "looks right". If it ends up being way too strong/weak, I merely adjust it with the gun`s sliding mixing valve.

Of course this works with the way *I* use the foamgun. A different approach might need a different dilution.

OMG. I have a problem. Few days ago in regard of my 1st PB SSS wash for Souveran wax and later found lost 15-20% shine for single wash. Well......I put 40% shampoo and mixed with 60% water in the bottle. Set on 1oz per gallon ratio.

Accumulator.....It seems like mine is way too strong comparing with yours.

I thought the foam gun 1 oz per setting will take care the mixture because PB SSS recommanded 1 oz for 2 gallon water.

Spilchy
03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
hhhmmmm, how odd, I`d never expect to hear from *both* Accumulator *AND* BillD on this subject, let alone one followed by the other ;) :rofl (AND first to answer!!)

3 to 4 oz to a gallon Accum? Most instructions for soaps say 1oz. per gallon. Sounds a bit strong? No?

I guess I`ll take an old gallon jug and make a solution and then fill the container on an as needed basis.

I figured I`d use a mild, more neutral shampoo for the foamer like #00 or #62. I don`t think it`ll hurt if I use another soap in the bucket. I don`t want it to be too harsh where I`ll "hurt" the wax.

Bill, what`s your ratio for your mixture?

Bill, it hit 61 degrees here in Jersey! You remember, one of those long, sunny Spring days? I went to the NY Auto show with my old man today. Very cool, although all the cars could have benefited from our washing methods - no swirls, but tons of micromarring on EVERY vehicle from the Kia to the Porsche GT. Kids were wiping down the vehicles with "cotton" rags and a QD. They also had feather dusters; the kind you buy in the supermarket to dust around your house :shocked

Bill D
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
:eek:

I kinda eye ball my mixture, I`d say maybe 60% water, 40% wash. Keep us posted on your thoughts of that #62.

Accumulator
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Spilchy- The AutoShow sounds like it was a good time. Neat that you went with your dad.

I dunno how strong the mix really ends up once you factor in the foamgun`s mixing valve setting. Never did the math. Sure doesn`t *seem* all that strong.

Here`s the exact methodology ( ;) ) I use when mixing up the soap for foamgun use:

Take empty one gallon Griot`s Car Wash jug and fill about 1/4 full with water. Using pump dispenser on another jug of Car Wash, squirt about three-four "pumps" into jug#1 and see if it "looks about right". If so, fill jug#1 with water until it`s about 7/8 full, if *not*, shrug and fill it anyway. Cap and shake. Let settle. Use in foamgun.

Note that the amount of soap dispensed by each "pump" is rather variable. Giving it more thought, it`s probably less than one ounce per pump but I really don`t know.

It *really* isn`t rocket science. Start with a mix like that and add more soap if you feel it`s needed. Note that the Meg`s washes are a bit thinner than the Griot`s, for whatever that`s worth :nixweiss

opass- I dunno howl much of a problem that really was, just maybe hard on the wax. Try a weaker mix and see if the car still gets clean.