PDA

View Full Version : Baby Foam Gun

Prometheus
03-30-2005, 03:00 PM
So, I was in Wal-Mart today (was looking for a half-way decent tire brush) but I ended up finding what they called a "Soap Dispenser/Sprayer". I was intrigued, with all the recent posts about foam guns, I kinda wondered how it would work. I was really quite suspicious (being it was only $6, and the ones often linked to here are 50+), but figured, for $6, I might as well give it a shot.

It`s not exactly heavy duty, but it does serve the purpose. Its all plastic, and has different soap settings on a dial on the top. You can choose from 3 soap settings, and 3 different settings for pure water. The package says it is capable of 100 PSI, but in my short test it is only about 75% of the power of my regular spray nozzel. The sprayer has rubber o-rings on all the fitttings, and doesnt appear that it will leak under normal usage. It has a 4-5 oz plastic container on bottom that easily unscrews to put the soap in, and has different spray patterns (like on a regular spray nozzel, it has shower, mist, jet, etc.)

So, it was about to (and still is) raining here, so i just did a short test. Put a little soap in the dispenser, and played with it on the cement of my driveway. The locking trigger makes it really nice, as you can easily control the sprayer and still have a hand free for a mit. Though not incredable quality, it does produce quite a bit of foam (depending upon which spray pattern you choose, mist produces the most in my short test).

While it isn`t a "real" foam gun, for $6, it is far superior IMO to a regular nozzel. For those not quite ready to spend the money for an actual foam gun, this seems to me to be a decent alternative (and more paint safe too). So, Just thought I`d share my little find with you all.

P.S, I`ll try and post pics later if you so desire.

EBPcivicsi
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Here are some pics. I find it to be quite sufficient when used correctly. I use GC shampoo and set it on "shower." I use it to distribute foam/water to the panel before and during washing(using my normal 2 bucket method).

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51027&highlight=foam+gun

Prometheus
03-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah, that`s it. At first i wondered how it worked, but i then realized that it just pumps water in through the little holes in the center, into the resevoir, then out the other holes back into the stream. Simple, but it works

Accumulator
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you`ve found a good alternative to the higher-priced ones. I bet it`ll make for a noticeable reduction in wash-induced marring.

Prometheus
03-30-2005, 08:20 PM
That`s kidna what I`m hoping, as the car is black. Hopefully this time next year I wont have nearly as much marring

PaPenguin
03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
I just wasn`t ready to drop big bucks on a foam gun and I bought one of the Walmart soap nozzles on Saturday for 5.73. Well, as a soap dispenser it doesn`t really do too much. The soap disappears before your eyes. I put 2 ounces in twice and only got half my car washed and it`s a Jetta so it`s pretty small. And of course there`s no "foam". It sprays soapy water. I set it for "shower" since that`s what the properautocare site instructed for the one they sell. Maybe I should try other settings. It is a very nice nozzle as far as spraying water and it appears to be half decently constructed for an all plastic nozzle.

Accumulator
03-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Even if the soap suds disappear right away, IMO you`re still ahead if you use it to provide constant lubrication/flushing of the areas you`re washing.

And spraying it through a BHB is the only way I`ve found to remove *really* nasty stuff without marring.

Soapy water is better than plain water ;)