PDA

View Full Version : odor from jetta

thAviEtbOi 37
03-30-2005, 03:02 AM
in my jetta, I have had this weird odor from the day I got it and that was eack in 2001. It is not the fresh car smell, but likt a stuffy feeling smell. I am sure the cloth seat contributes to it. It has never gone away, even after professional details. Does anyone know how to get rid of odors like this. thanks

q_tip98444
03-30-2005, 03:19 AM
Hmmmm, have you had anyone use an ozone machine on it before? I`m sure other might have some suggestions also.

sspeer
03-30-2005, 11:15 AM
If I remember right, they had problems with mildew build up in the vents. Don`t know if there was ever a recall. You can try changing the cabin air filter and running the A/C through the various outlets to dry them out periodically

togwt
03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
:welcome to Autopia sspeer

Good suggestions

If I may elaborate a little- for odour from the air conditioning unit (1Z Klima-Cleaner) is an effective means for removing odour-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. Spray into the interior A/C vents and allow product to work for 30 minutes. It creates a healthier and fresh smelling environment for the interior of your car.

Tip- turn off the AC but leave the fan running for the last minute or two before turning off the ignition to help dry the condenser and surrounding area, also check the cabin air filter (s) change as necessary

Smoke- an air sanitizer/freshener (Ozium 1500c) effectively eliminates bad smoke odours, each mist will release a pleasant fragrance that kills odour-causing bacteria and converts smoke particles into clean, fresh air. I would also suggest a very thorough cleaning of the interior (inc. the headliner) and all surfaces.

JonM

meGrimlock
03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
If your Jetta has the pollen filter, make sure to check that - mine was pretty filthy by 40k. Now that I`ve replaced it, the car smells much "fresher".

You might want to try a deodorizer for your ventilation system: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wus-893540.html

I used a similar product on my car last year after a bad rain in which some water got into my ventilation system causing the car to smell musty. It really made the car smell much better.

thAviEtbOi 37
03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
the a/c get used a whole lot seeing as how i don`t use the windows. I think I will try changing the cabin filter and try the a/c cleaner after that. thanks a lot

sspeer
03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I was always afraid to use the windows. fearing they`d fall in..I still see Golfs/Jettas with duct tape holding the windows up...

Actually, that sounds right about turning off the A/C for the last few minutes before shutting down.

I`m sure VWvortex.com has info on it..

I`ve been a lurker on here for quite a while, but had to respond to the Jetta thread since I`m a former owner. This board has cost me alot of money..some of which include new shelving for the garage to put all this stuff!!!

violentveedub
03-30-2005, 09:18 PM
You may want to try draining your AC "drain tube" Sometimes they get clogged up. It will be a "U" Shaped slit in the firewall (silver) material. Just poke around in there with a srewdriver or something and if its clogged all kinda water will come out. Sometimes the clogged up water molds and mildews and makes a stagnant smell...

Just a bit of help from a `vortex regular...

accordmaniac
03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Does anybody know if the spray Lysol in the a/c intake vent method works?