PDA

View Full Version : hand wash vs autowash.....

Pages : [1] 2

imported_BluHeaven
03-29-2005, 07:45 PM
heres a fun article I found.... hehehe

click here (http://www.kaady.com/handwashing_vs_automatic_washing.htm)

discuss!

randomman84
03-29-2005, 08:02 PM
here`s the link again it doesnt seem to work if you click on it.

you get some kind of clicky page or something..

http://www.kaady.com/handwashing_vs_automatic_washing.htm

i belive this has been brought up before and discussed...

imported_BluHeaven
03-29-2005, 08:12 PM
oops... I fixed the link!

imported_truzoom
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I`ve been reading these forums for a while, but finally registered because I got through reading this "article" and it screams BS at me from all angles.

Foremost, the article claims "studies" this and that, but unless there are reference citations or links to a report of the actual study, I find it difficult to believe this isn`t just an article by the car wash owner association to promote business.

Secondly, they didn`t get a large enough sample for the "test". Four randomly chosen guys will indeed have their own way to wash a car, but who is to say any of them are knowledgeable on it? Why only one car for the automatic? Why not more cars at different automatic washes where the owners will have varying levels of care for their facilities.

Perhaps I just got too heated over something so obviously fake.. Either way, what a horrible way to promote your business..:rolleyes:

buldog
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I don`t think that these guys washing where Autopians !!!

" On the other hand, the motorist who uses the services of a professional car wash with their automatic carwashing equipment subjects the paintwork of their vehicle to the thorough, but gentle action of cloth pads and curtains which treat their paint job with tender, loving care "

I have Thought how much accumulated crap from other cars is actually stuck on these fibre`s?

I for one don`t want to find out.

imported_Denzil
03-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Where is the actual data and evidence???

All I see are words not backed up with photos or statistical data. Not really a professional research and study to me...

imported_imolamystique
03-29-2005, 08:32 PM
As Autopians we already know that improper wash techniques can cause minor surface scratches. What is sad is that ppl (not on Autopia of course) will read the so-called study results and actually believe that their cars are safe at the local car wash. YIKES! Obviously this was a one sided study paid for by a car wash association.

benpocock
03-30-2005, 02:47 AM
It all about education. IMO the type of people who are happy to take their cars through automated brushed washes (brushless isn`t so bad, but I still don`t like the chemicals they use) are the same people who when they wash their car themselves use one bucket and a sponge, and start from the bottom and work up.

If you try and educate them about why they shouldn`t do it, most will take it on board and about a third will propably change their routine. Unfortunately though most people don`t care which is a shame condsidering how big an investment a car is.

Ben

cuekaje
03-30-2005, 05:13 AM
I prefer wash the car myself. That way I know the conditions of my car better.

Wawan

togwt
03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Quote: Hand washes are extremely harmful to automobile finishes - Tests conducted by the University of Texas to compare surface disturbances showed that a single home hand wash on an automobile can produce scratches that penetrate as deep as 1/10 of the total thickness of the automobile`s paint.Texas Univ article.

So itÃâ‚â„s true what your neighbors tell you all the time Ãâ‚Å“If you keep washing that car youÃâ‚â„ll have no paint leftÃâ‚Â

a) Scientific Fact = Factual information not theory

b) Marketing Hype = Blurring the distinction between science and fiction

c) Opinion = Not necessarily fact or fiction but usually highly subjective

d) Myth = Invariably contains some truth but is predominantly fiction or biased opinion

Rate the article by the selection of one of the above

JonM

DutchDetailer
03-30-2005, 06:01 PM
A handwash is a lot better, especially when done with care and knowledge. :up

Mochamanz1
03-30-2005, 06:59 PM
(IMHO) NOOOO Not this again ! Another post about this same biased article ! :rolleyes:

The car wash industry loves this article. I remember this same thread topic .... from last year (maybe not on Autopia). Sure, Scrub it with a rotary "wheel" brush, flap a dirty abrasive Scotch bright- like pad on your paint.... rinse it off with dirty, chemical laden, recycled water, Then spray some kerosene like "wax" on for good measure.... ;) No Bashing intended, but this kind of misinformation is obviously an assault on our intelligence and desire to keep our cars beautiful and undamaged. :grrr

derek37
03-31-2005, 11:46 AM
yuck:nervous2:

danwatt
03-31-2005, 02:45 PM
"By contrast, when cars were washed by professional full service car washes, there was virtually no change in the surface reflectance or shine readings."

They need a better editor.

Woob
03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Hmmm since I have some time I`ll point out some simple facts that I find wrong:

"detergent, low water volume commonly found in hose nozzles at home, buckets of water, sponges and towels used in the average home car washing"

- We use high lubricity, sudsing, and in some cases gloss enhancing soaps to clean that paint.

- Bucket WITH devices built to remove grit, but with different rinsing and soap solutions,

- Sponge? Yes if you say Sea Sponge that absorbs with the large cell structure, otherwise it`s synthetic chenille or sheepskin mitts that are cared for like fruit!

- Towels? Nope, more like Waffle Weave microfibers that actually absorb!

"average backyard hose is not able to supply enough water along with the detergent action to avoid damaging the car`s finish. The most harmful method of washing cars was found to be the special "car wash" brushes that hook on to a garden hose and are purchased from local hardware stores or automotive supply dealers. The use of this type of brush with the low water pressure that comes out of the garden hose is the most destructive on the finish of an automobile"

- Low pressure doesn`t necessarily mean more danger, as long as you have the right car soap to loosen dirt and rinse it well. If you have too much wouldn`t that involve danger to the car paint?

- Who uses those garden hose brushes?

I could list so many errors in that entire article. It is biased, vague, and extremely verbose. Why don`t they show pictures? Results of their work? I`d like to see one car go through 10 washes by an autopian, then another go through 10 washes by a "professional" car wash.