PDA

View Full Version : How much?

opass
03-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this topic, please feel free to move the right place.

Recently I learned a lot of using other products and technic about detaling from Autopians. Today got an offer from friend`s friend who want me to detail his brand new 2 weeks old Nissan Xterra SUV. How much should I charge her? This is going to be my 1st detail job that being paid for.

Since the car is in brand new condtion. I think it need the following treatment without polish.

1)wash

2)clay

3)AIO

4)KSG, sealent

5) Poorboys tire dressing

6) all glass clean inside out

7) interior dressing on dash and surround trims (303 AS)

8)vacuum

EST....6.5 hours job.

Any suggestion? How much should I charge? Location is in S. California.

imported_Denzil
03-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I too wonder how much I should charge to do a full detail on a car. It really depends how thorough of a detail you`re talking about.

As for myself, I am offering an introductory flat rate of $50 which I believe is a damn good deal IMO. This is a full car detail keep in mind.

White95Max
03-29-2005, 07:37 PM
My first detail, I charged $20 to do a full exterior detail. My next one I charged $50 for an full detail (interior/exterior/engine). Since then, I`ve built a client base and charge about $100-$115 on average. I`m going a 2000 Jetta this weekend, which was already done last fall. I`m charging $110, which is the same that I charged last time.

I do my neighbor`s cars for "free". I go over there and they help me with whatever they can. I tell them that they owe me nothing, and they always give me $40 anyway. :)

You are wise to know the power of a few freebies or cheap details. They can really help to get a client base going.

For example...the $20 car (1st paid detail). The owner has brought me 3 cars since then, and the Jetta is one of them.

My neighbors...they both want their cars done twice a year, and supposedly my neighbor`s Brother-in-law wants his 3 cars done. My neighbor`s boss also has 3 cars that he wants done.

If you give people deals on their cars, they will gladly recommend you to others.

For the Xterra, I would charge about $90 for that process, but keep in mind that $90 in Wisconsin is different from $90 in SoCal.

togwt
03-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I like to keep it simple `cause I`m stupid (KISS)

a)How much is your `time` worth $(sometimes it`s also a matter of zero$, giving to get

b) How much `time` will the job take

c) How much will the materials cost

a+b+c =$ charge

JonM

imported_Denzil
03-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah, like Max said... you want to build a strong client base so that your first few customers will highly recommend you. Just make sure that they understand that the price you give them is only a promotional one. :up

Intercooled
03-29-2005, 08:26 PM
I agree that giving deals or freebies can be good for businessbut becarefull, sometimes you can get taken advantage of or they will expect the same pricing all the time.

opass
03-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the input.

For the last 2 months, I already spent over $1,000 for supplies and equipnment. Would like to make some $$$ back. Well...it is SUV (bigger size). 6 hours of my time. material cost.

$150. About $24 per hour labor.

Wasatch
03-29-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree with Intercooled.

imported_Denzil
03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
That`s why it`s called a promotion. Just say it`s a limited-time promotion. That will always work. Just remember to mention it.

Intercooled
03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Denzil

That`s why it`s called a promotion. Just say it`s a limited-time promotion. That will always work. Just remember to mention it.

I agree!

I work for myself (plumber) It seems everyone has a story or a complaint. Remember if you detail cars to make money and its your sole income, it is then your livelihood!(The reason to be in business is to make a profit.) Give top quality work and service and dont compromise your prices. Then they cant complain and they are getting exceptional VALUE!

Goodluck :xyxthumbs

White95Max
03-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Exactly. You have to make them aware that the normal price is much higher than what you are charging. Just tell them that you are giving them a discount in exchange for a favor...to recommend you to others.

the other pc
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Does she have a lot of really cute friends?

Some forms of marketing are far more valuable than money.

PC.

PaPenguin
03-30-2005, 11:06 PM
I think most people would expect to pay at least $100 for a full inside and out detail. Your time should be worth at least 15-20 per hour and then there is the expense for all the supplies. Plus, if you run into something that holds you up, or God forbid, screw something up, you know who will be expected to make it good. Most people will drop 20 bucks at the automatic wash for just the exterior wash and an interior quicky vacuum. Don`t sell yourself short.