PDA

View Full Version : how to remove spiderwebs.

6']['9
03-28-2005, 05:26 PM
From plastic. Ive polished my taillights numerous amounts of time and even though they look nice they always have spiderwebs. Its not as easy to take out webbing from plastic as it is to take out of paint. Any of you guys use anything that works. The last thing i used was IP/FP/AIO/P21 the ip and fp were done with a rotory and the webs were still there.

Any suggestions?

togwt
03-28-2005, 06:23 PM
The lens has a silicone-based coating applied to its outer surface, some manufacturers apply two different types of coatings to the outer surface of the lens, these coatings are mainly for UVR protection, but are also for impact and abrasion resistance, once the coating (s) fail the lens surface will occlude (clouding or yellowing)

So there is a `point of no return` when there is no protective coating left, then as it yellow you polish and polish until there the plastic becomes so thin that the heat from the bulbs will melt it

Extreme case to prove a point?

JonM

6']['9
03-28-2005, 08:46 PM
but the lights never turned yellow?

Gary Wells
03-29-2005, 07:11 AM
FWIW & IMHO:

Some of the plastic cleaners/polishes designed for motorcycle windshields/windscreens/helmet face shields will probably work.

I would try by hand first, though. You might want to try "Brasso" if you happen to have any around the house in a small area. By hand also.

togwt
03-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 6`][`9

but the lights never turned yellow?

You may have removed the lens coating and UVR damage (yellowing) takes time. My point is; that using a rotary often to clean the lens, its heat/abrasive product will `thin` the plastic

JonM