PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with leather conditioner

imported_Sullybob
03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
So, my Mother-in-Law (from now on reffered to as MIL:) ) just got a new car with a leather interior. The problem is that the MIL equates shiney with clean. The leather is a very nice supple, matte tan. The MIL would like the leather to have a shinier appearance.

I have Lexol but it leaves a nice matte finish. Which the MIL is not fond of:D

What leather conditioner will leave a nice shine? Are there any products that will make the leather shine for a week or so?

Thanks for your help.

benpocock
03-28-2005, 05:23 PM
I use the Autoglym leather conditioner and find that if you don`t buff it off it leaves a shiny surface. Altertatively you could always say "stuff the leater" and use a glossy vinyl care product on them to make the leather shine!:D

Ben

6']['9
03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
i thought you were saying she was a MILF!! :) Any way im not too sure of leather lotions that make the leather shine. Most the time if you wipe it on and not buff it completely it will have a slight shine but its not like your dressing the leather.

imported_Sullybob
03-28-2005, 05:39 PM
MILF :woot: :bounce Thats the funniest thing I have read all day. Thanks.

She has never had leather before and wants it to shine. My Lexol makes the leather feel smoother and very supple but leaves absolutly zero shine. Even if I don`t buff it off very throughly it just gets absorbed by the leather. Then it feels kind of tacky.

TW85 HHI
03-28-2005, 05:52 PM
AutoGlym leaves a shine if you do not buff it. Beware that it does not have the most pleasing scent.

I know it isn`t a conditioner but I have seen people use Natural Look on leather and it leaves a shine. Too much for my taste but then again, I like very matte surfaces.

Soarer V
03-28-2005, 05:55 PM
You may use 303 to shine and protect.:up

togwt
03-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Leather is not supposed to shine, I know you`ll tell me that leather shoes/boots shine. They obtain that shine because shoe polish contains silione oils, which not only make them shine but provide water resistance.

Back to MIL and the leather shine, the only way I know is to apply a product and don`t buff it, problem with this is that it becomes sticky.You could apply (I don`t believe I`m about to say this...) a viynl conditioner as the oils just rest on the surface and will look shiny (same sticky problem though)

The other posibility is to tell her the truth (that leather is supposed to have a matte finish) but it`s easy for me to say as I`m not the one telling the MIL.

Good luck

JonM

imported_Sullybob
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

I was under the impression that I could use a leather conditioner on viynl but not a a viynl conditioner on leather. I thought that if I put a viynl conditioner on the leather that it could be harmful to the leather which is something that I certainly don`t want to do.

Reading about 303 it says that it is safe for coated leather interiors. Could I clean and condition with my Lexol and then layer 303 on top of that to get the desired shine?

So I could layer with 303 at the end or I could take Jon`s advice and tell her that the leather is going to stay matte.

Maybe I could make the rest of her viynl shine with #40 and leave the leather matte for a (maybe) happy medium. :nixweiss

wannafbody
03-28-2005, 10:40 PM
tell her the seats are specially coated and only leather products work on them otherwise she will ruin them

imported_Sullybob
04-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Just an update.

I explained to the MIL that the leather is not supposed to shine. She understands now. I ended up doing a quick detail on the ineterior of her car. She liked the #40 so much she :laugh: aquired the rest of the bottle, well that and my EO wet a tire swipe and a couple of MF`s :) her interior will be in good shape.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.