PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Detailing Proceedure

57_300SL
03-28-2005, 01:38 PM
I am a collector and have been using the same polishing/waxing proceedure for about 7 years. I am about to go through the process on 2 cars and am rethinking this and want to get advice on what people think is the best way to go.

First, the cars 1) `02 Black Mercedes E430 - this is my daily driver and spends most of its time outside and on the highway. I still want a mile deep shine and no swirl marks! 2) `57 light blue metallic. Mercedes 300 SL. I show this car and drive it in vintage events. The paint is approx 8 years old two part w/ clear coat. This car I want to SHINE!

Currently I wash the cars with Griot`s Car Wash, then use Griot`s Clay with Speed Shine, then apply Griot`s Machine Polish #1 (fine) with a PC and remove it by hand, and then use Griot`s BOS Wax applied with the PC and removed by hand.

I am thinking that there may be a better process that will give me a deeper shine. The e430 has some minor scratches that need to be addressed, The 300SL`s paint in perfect condition.

One product I am thinking of using is Klasse. I am interested in advice and open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Todd

the other pc
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
:welcome to Autopia 57_300SL!

Incredible cars you have there!

It sounds to me like you do have a good process. You`ll find plenty of suggestions here for various other products you might like. I think, in the end, you`ll have to try some different approaches and decide for yourself which you prefer (you may even find that what you`re doing now is still right for you).

I haven`t tried Griot`s products myself but I do get the impression from their descriptions that they aren`t meant for aggressive restoration. Perhaps those deeper scratches on the E430 just need some extra work. I would start with ScratchX by hand on them. If that works, great, just go ahead with the rest of your process as usual. If they`re more stubborn you may want to try one of the machine polishes discussed here.

good luck.

PC.