PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna IP VS 3m

imported_Mighty HD
03-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Looks like the paint on my black car is starting to haze. I assume that the 3m SMR-Dark was full of fillers. After a few rains, etc it`s gone to hell in a handbasket.

With that in mind I will most likely go over it again.

How does Menzerna IP Compare to 3m machine glaze?

What do I need to do and what`s the proper propel pads that I need to use? I`m a bit frusterated that this happened but live and learn.

I have the following products on hand---

Menzerna FP II

Menzerna Glaze

Menzerna FMJ

Menzerna Car wash

3m PI RC fine cut

3m PI SMR-dark

Propel Pads: 1 orange, 1 yellow, 2 green, 1 blue, 1 black

# 9

Steer me right...Please....

:o

togwt
03-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Surface Prep for Menzerna (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=512613#post512613)

6']['9
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
IP is more aggressive than the 3m MG which is more for removing holograms and such. Out of all the 3m products i probably use the PI III RC and it works great with a rotory. I used those 3m smr`s with a pc and didnt get very far. If i were you id go IP/FPII then finish your process.

Web Docta
03-27-2005, 08:38 PM
If you want something a little more agressive than IP then try 3M 3000RC. I recently tried it on a white 91 Firebird and it did a good job. I followed with FP then AIO.

I used a yellow propel pad with both the IP and the 3M 3000RC.

Blue pad for the FP.

imported_Mighty HD
03-27-2005, 08:47 PM
So would I would be better off sticking with Menzerna for everything, or would I get better results with 3m?

Here`s the step`s I`m planning out.

1. Wash (no need to clay, I just did it a week ago)

2. Menzerna IP- Yellow propel pad

3. Menzerna FP II - Green propel pad

4. Menzerna FP II - Blue propel pad

5. Menzerna glaze- Black propel pad

6. Menzerna FMJ

In-between IP, and FP coats/removal I can spray with 50/50 water/alochol.

Once the Glaze goes on, apply FMJ, after FMJ follow up with Menzerna arcrylic QD.

If the above isnt right, kick me back on path...lol

Web Docta
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Steps 3 & 4 are redundant. I`d skip step 3.

imported_Mighty HD
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
So i can go straight from the yellow cutting pad to the light cut blue pad with no problems then?

Web Docta
03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
I would say so.

For my last Menzerna detail I did:

IP with yellow-PC

FP with blue-PC

AIO with grey-PC

NXT by hand

Check out the 944S in my sig for the result.

Good luck.

imported_Mighty HD
03-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Well I`ll give that a shot and see what happens

Alfisti
03-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Alex, in my experience it might be more effective to apply FP with the green polishing pad. The extra cut will improve the finish the yellow pad left.

The aggressiveness of the yellow pad will leave the finish a little dulled compared to using IP with a green pad. To maximize the results of using FP its best to use a light-cutting pad (like Propel green) rather than a finishing pad (like Propel blue).

I don`t wish to be disagreeable with the previous advice but this has been my experience with Menzerna polishes. :D

imported_Mighty HD
03-28-2005, 09:04 PM
So here we are: The final results

1. Wash w/ Menzerna (no need to clay, I just did it a week ago)

2. Menzerna IP- Yellow propel pad

4. Menzerna FP II - Green propel pad

5. Menzerna glaze- Black propel pad

6. Menzerna FMJ - by hand

Why would I not use the blue pad with the FP??? I`m a little lost here....Wouldnt I use the blue pad to "final buff" the FP II and remove haze?

In-between IP, and FP coats/removal I can spray with 50/50 water/alochol.

Alfisti
03-29-2005, 01:44 AM
Why would I not use the blue pad with the FP??? I`m a little lost here....Wouldnt I use the blue pad to "final buff" the FP II and remove haze?

Alex, the blue pad is more of a finishing pad for applying cleaner wax or glaze. You CAN use it with FP but it cuts so little that it would be hard-pressed to remove any haze left by the yellow pad.

Note the suggestion from Exceldetails website when using the orange pad (less aggressive than yellow):

"The Propel Orange pad has finally arrived! A great all-in-one type of pad - helps removes swirls, light stains, even water spotting. Follow up with our Propel Green and you definitely have a winning combination. Use that duo for your more complicated jobs, or add a Propel Yellow for a super power trio!"

Also, about the blue pad:

"7" Propel Blue finishing pad. Great for using with all-in-one type cleaner/wax products. Also can be used for applying glazes and liquid carnaubas. Not meant for thorough cleaning, you would step up to our Propel Green for that task."

Note the usage limitations. FPII contains light polishing abrasives and will work better with the green pad. If you just want to `burnish` the paint then the blue would be the better choice, but if you want to remove haze or micro-marring from an aggressive pad, both pads will work, but the green pad will work better.

Finally, have a look at the first post on this thread here (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49338) and draw your own conclusions.

I hope this hasen`t confused you. :D