PDA

View Full Version : a Zaino theory....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wannafbody
03-27-2005, 06:04 PM
it seems the reason Zaino doesn`t bond well over oily products is because it has no cleaners in it-so the surface needs to be pre-cleaned prior to Z`s application(old Z1)-most other products are engineered to slightly clean a surface to assure bonding action-in other words Zaino is really designed to be a stand alone product whereas most other products are designed to be more compatible with other detailing products-maybe the lack of cleaning agents is what makes it durable but also makes it less versatile than other products-as for ZFX-is it really neccessary?

JeffM
03-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Lots of sealants wont bond well over anything oily.

AIO= my best friend.

imported_memnuts
03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
No ZFX is not necessary if one chooses to use Z1.

No ZFX does not clean. Surface must be prepped to accept Zaino polishes. This means it should be as oil-free as possible.

True there are no other sealants or protectants that mimic the Zaino system.There are no sealants or waxes that have "almost instant curing" with and addition of an additive like ZFX that will allow application of 3 distinct layers in one day.

Actually, I can not think of any product that is a "system" like Zaino. A very unique and well engineered product. :xyxthumbs

wannafbody
03-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Z1 is a precleaner to my knowledge-Zaino is a system that isn`t designed to work well with other manufaturers products-a lack of cleaners isn`t always a desirable attribute even IF thats what makes a product more durable-i can see how this post can be viewed as antagonistic and it wasn`t meant to come across that way-sorry

imported_memnuts
03-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Z1 is a pre-cleaner and gloss enhance by product definition. Z1 is not a pre-cleaner in terms of applying it over a oily or previously waxed surface. That is the reason for the Dawn or any degreaser step prior to the application of Z1.

The attributes of a protectant with cleaning ability (i.e NXT, mother`s cleaner wax, etc) is that both steps can be perform at the same time. Zaino separates these steps for obvious reasons.

Zaino never stated that it is more than just a protectant. This is true with most sealants and pure carnuabas (WG, UPP, BF, SG, P21S, Souveran, etc.). So the fact that Z2,Z2-PRO and Z5 do not clean is not unique.

Yes, Zaino will not adhere to a prep done with Meg #80 (full of oils and fillers) for example but there many non-oil /filler polishes that will mate well with the Zaino system.

Will Zaino offer a paint cleanser that will complete the system? Yes.

When. :nixweiss ;)

togwt
03-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Although I would not state categorically that a product that is formulated with oils will abort the cross linking or bonding process of a polymer just that the process may not be as complete, and its strength and durability maybe affected.

It`s my belief that`s why Sal recommends a strong detergent (he`s been in the automotive paint business long enough to know the effect they would have on paint / vinyl etc) to clean oil from the surface as a prep, which would ensure Zanio`s durability

JonM

wannafbody
03-27-2005, 08:47 PM
i`m not saying that Zaino is bad just that it has gaps in the "system" and seems to be designed with a different philosophy from most other products-guess that`s what makes it a niche product-maybe by design maybe by accident

ZaneO
03-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I guess I`m missing what exactly the "gap" is...

wannafbody
03-27-2005, 09:06 PM
gaps- system compatible polishes, lack of a dedicated pre-cleaner, different as in the polymer is not designed to bond over oil even though it is a petroleum based product (from what i`ve been able to figure out)-the polymer might be oil based but not the product(for clarification)

imported_RIC
03-27-2005, 09:21 PM
wannafbody...you sound very mixed up...where do you come up with your ideas?

I don`t think any "real" polymer sealant is designed to bond over oils.

ZaneO
03-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Many products have the characteristics you mention.

Zaino is a paint protection system, not a paint correction/prep system.

You seem to be a little anti-Zaino on all the boards I see you post on...just move on if you don`t like it.

wannafbody
03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
i`ve never used it so i`m not anti Zaino- i can`t quite understand how an oil based polymer(any one) can`t be compatible with other oil based products unless maybe its chemically similar to Klasse(acryllic-even tho its a type of polymer too) i think because i`ve read posts different places and try to reason to questions i might have -that`s why i asked about the difference between resins and polymers in an effort to learn more-take Gold Class for example- it has slight cleaners and polishing oils in it so it isn`t just a case of cleaners removing all the oils that makes a polymer bond-in fact at MOL someone claims that oils "help a polymer bond" maybe its just certain polymers:nixweiss

BradE
03-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Zaino is not an oil based polymer, and never has been, it`s water based.

wannafbody
03-27-2005, 10:23 PM
that makes sense then-I was misinformed- thanks-so i could ansume any of the water based polymer type products like UPP and Wolfgang would have similar behavior? also cleaners aren`t needed as water is a natural cleaner

ZaneO
03-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Funny that you asked if TC was a water based product like Zaino.