PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Cloudyness/Haze

SkeptiKal
03-27-2005, 01:24 AM
I have a RSX Type-S and the headlights (JDM HID) I purchased had some scratches in them. I wanted to get rid of the scratches so I looked around on the internet and saw a few tutorials. One had wet-sanding included, and to me seemed like the only viable option, as the scratches were quite deep.

I went to my local Canadian Tire and purchased the least abbrasive sandpaper they had. Which was 600 and 1500 grit waterproof (tutorial went upto 2000). I quickly went to work on the headlights. I managed to lessen the scratches but came across the cloudy/haze affect of wet-sanding.

First I purchased some PlasticX, it did a relatively ok job at removing most of the hazing but not completly. Not being satisified I purchased #10/#17 polish and cleaner products also from the Meguire`s Line. They together did a better job but not to the point where the headlights were prior to wet-sanding (in terms of clarity in no scratched areas).

In addition, after initial application of polish/cleaner the headlights look rather rich and deep but the cloudiness comes back slightly. Its almost like a film over the headlamps.

Is it possible that I did not use adequate sand paper, upto 2000 grit and beyond? Perhaps by hand is not as good as a porter cable, and by using it my results will be better?

Im out of ideas and would like to get the nice and new look back to these headlights. Have spent a lot of time on them already.

Thanks for the input.

togwt
03-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Removing Oxidation or scratches from Vehicle headlights, Brake lights (polycarbonate) â€â€œ

Most vehicles now have a protective, transparent, plastic lens covering the headlights to protect expensive lamps (headlight assemblies range from 500-$700+) from flying stones and road debris. They discolour over time, becoming opaque and cloudy; these lenses can severely restrict the amount of light reaching the road.

The lens has a silicone-based coating applied to its outer surface, some manufacturers apply two different types of coatings to the outer surface of the lens, these coatings are mainly for UVR protection, but are also for impact and abrasion resistance, once the coating (s) fail the lens surface will occlude (clouding or yellowing)

While most of the cloudiness is on the surface, severely discoloured lens cannot be brought back to optical clarity. If you live in a southern state, this discoloration can become noticeable in as little as two-years

Application Methodology:

â€Â¢Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish

â€Â¢Meguiarâ€â„¢s PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive, which requires a little pressure when applying it to enable these abrasives to remove the discoloured plastic and expose new plastic. Or Renovo Plastic Cleaner

â€Â¢Plastic Cleaners can be used to clean and condition Perspex as well as flexible plastic but is not suitable for use on glass.

â€Â¢Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the window is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.

â€Â¢It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic.

â€Â¢Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied

â€Â¢Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator

â€Â¢Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.

â€Â¢Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)

â€Â¢Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.

â€Â¢Continue polishing until all the polish is gone

â€Â¢Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel

â€Â¢Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process 2-3 times as necessary

â€Â¢Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

JonM

SkeptiKal
03-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks a bunch for your reply.

I went out earlier this morning and really applied some force with PlasticX (using a wool cloth) and it seemed to have done the trick.

I will see how it looks tomorrow..