PDA

View Full Version : Did I really screw up?

BamaGSR
03-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Ok here`s what I did: I bought a PC 7424 a couple of years ago, and have only used it about 2-3 times. My car is an Integra, Milano Red, and the passenger side of the car is a bright red, while the back of the driver`s side is faded red/pink. Today I opened my trunk. and noticed that the spot under the spoiler on the driver`s side was a bright red. So I decided to break out the PC again and see if maybe it was oxidation I could get rid of. I washed the car and then decided to go to town with the DACP. I had feared that in the past I wasn`t letting the DACP work into the paint enough to get results, so this time I worked it in slowly, then bumped the speed up, and very slowly moved over the area next to where the bright red patch under the spoiler was.

After probably 10-15 minutes, I was about ready to quit, when I noticed that tiny `flakes` of red paint were appearing next to the spot under the spoiler! It appeared that I was removing the faded paint, and revealing red paint under it, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I kept doing this, and the line of red paint slowly stretched, and I kept adding more DACP to the pad. Then, a streak of what appeared to be caulk or like burnt grey gum developed on the spot I was polishing. I stopped immediately, and noticed I could scratch the area with my fingernail and streak it, it was rough to the touch. So I assumed it was some of the excess DACP getting too hot. I added a bit more DACP to the pad, and quickly went back over the spot, and it went away.

This happened again on that spot, and it was harder to get rid of this time. I added some Klasse AIO, and that got it off. By this time, the area of red paint wasn`t really expanding, so I decided to try again with the Klasse AIO this time. It seemed to be working, but the grey patch came back again. I stopped, added some AIO, and went back. But THIS time, the area of grey started EXPANDING! I kept doing it because I was sure it would eventually come off like the other 2 times, but it didn`t, and I was left with what you see in the pics.

The part I don`t understand is.....the surface, including the grey patch, is smooth as glass. The color looks like primer, so that`s why I am afraid I may have burned through the paint?!? I have never heard of this happening with a PC 7424, so I don`t know.

I`ve attached a couple of pics. If you look just outside the grey area, you can tell that the paint is slightly redder, then a faded area outside it.

If that IS the primer, I guess my only alternative is to get the area completely repainted, or use touch-up paint? I`m sure putting touch-up paint over that big of an area (about 6 inches) won`t look good, but it doesn`t look very good now either.

What do you guys think?

http://home.earthlink.net/~mcollier71/DCP01030.JPG http://home.earthlink.net/~mcollier71/DCP01031.JPG

Intercooled
03-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Holy Crap!:shocked

Looks like primer to me. I have never heard of a PC doing any damage either.

Were you applying a lot of pressure?

What kind of pad were you using?

Is your car clear coated?

JasonD
03-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I can`t believe what I am seeing. I have never heard of a PC being able to create so much heat and friction to do something like this.

Judging from the *layered* effect around the grey area, I would think you are looking at primer here.

How long did you polish on this one spot? What pad, and what speed were you using?

imported_Axe
03-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Could that spot have been touched up previously ?

Intercooled
03-26-2005, 05:03 PM
I`d like to know some of the details about this problem, so I dont make a similar mistake. I`m sure others would like to know as well.

I asked myself the same thing.........has that area been touched up before?

BamaGSR
03-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

I can`t believe what I am seeing. I have never heard of a PC being able to create so much heat and friction to do something like this.

Judging from the *layered* effect around the grey area, I would think you are looking at primer here.

How long did you polish on this one spot? What pad, and what speed were you using?

I worked on that area for about 30 mins. I was using the Meguiars cutting pad, I think it was 7006. The burgandy one. Most of the time I was using 6 as the speed. When I would add some DACP, I would work it in at 1 or 2, then gradually bump up the speed. I was using pressure some, simply guiding it at other times.

I agree it definitely looks like primer, but if it`s primer, should it be that smooth? I mean we are talking smooth as glass. Are you able to tell that right around the grey patch the paint is slightly redder, then fades out? I don`t understand why I was able to remove some of the faded paint, then the area stopped expanding.

Oh well. Live and learn I guess :(

imported_Burlyq
03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I am going to go way out on a limb and say that`s primer. I also would say eventhough you went a little overboard it probably isn`t your fault. It could have been a factory paint defect (not enough paint in that spot or some issue with the paint itself like not enough hardener). They could have also sprayed it after the tail was on and the tail could have prevented that area from getting enough paint, most manufactorers spray by machine. It probably wouldn`t have happened so soon w/o pressure but that spot probably would have failed before the rest of the car. Time to repaint that panel.

Before you repaint, you might want to duplicate what you did on other areas on the panel, then you`ll know if the tail, lack of proper coats or hardener, was the issue. here`s a quote from the following link,

"I then applied Dual Action Cleaner Polish with a DA set on speed six. I took a reading of the DACPâ€â„¢ed area and I found no change."

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4013

JasonD
03-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, if you spent 30 minutes on that one spot without moving, on speed 6, and kept adding more DACP, then I`m willing to bet you burned right through. In 30 minutes, you should have been 1/4 of the way through that whole car at least.

But even still, a PC usually doesn`t create heat but I`ve never polished on one spot for 30 mintues in a very aggressive manner, so it is *possible*. If you did indeed burn through the paint, it is going to be smooth as glass because you polished it that way.

None of this means it was *entirely* your fault because like the others are speculating, it is possible that you are dealing with another problem.

rollman
03-26-2005, 09:36 PM
I can`t believe you took the paint off that car with a PC. :nixweiss Yeah 30 mins in one spot is to long .

dschribs
03-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I didn`t think that you were really suppossed to use Meg`s 7006 pad on a PC - maybe that had something to do with it as well???

That`s rough man - sorry - but as the other guys said, a good post because it`s a huge learning experience...unfortunetly, at the expense of your wallet...

Touch up paint won`t do it - but a good shop can fade it in if the body lines don`t allow them to go all the way to the edges without doing too much painting..

wannafbody
03-26-2005, 10:12 PM
30 minutes per panel is too long as others said but i wonder if the car is clearcoated-if it wasn`t clearcoated that might be why you went thru the paint

SpoiledMan
03-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I`m going to bet that that panel has been repainted at some time.

JeffM
03-27-2005, 09:00 AM
If you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, then it is too deep to remove.

Now you see why.