PDA

View Full Version : Help with leather?

IntrstlarOvrdrv
03-26-2005, 12:43 AM
I know this is a n00b question, but I have never done a leather interior before and it kinda confuses me. I used a bug sponge and lexol cleaner to clean a friends seats, but he said I had to be careful not to get into the fibers or the seats would mess up. I`m not really sure what he meant by this:confused: I put a leather conditioner on it too, but I still am not sure by how I would mess up the fibers? Anyone? thanks..

Lowejackson
03-26-2005, 06:40 AM
The only thing I can think of is the upholstery stitching but I am not sure how this would damage the leather under normal conditions

togwt
03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
A negative marketing rumor was circulated that Lexol contained alcohol that would get into the stitching and cause them to dry out, fray and break.

Like most myths there is some truth in the fact that alcohol will cause upholstery stitching to break, but Lexol does not contain any alcohol, it does contain a solvent.

IntrstlarOvrdrv -Leather care should comprise, Cleaning â€â€œ Conditioning - Ultra Violet Radiation protection

Like all things a little goes a long way, more often is better than an excess applied infrequently.

Schedule: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple.

Apply Lexol let it dwell for a few minutes to soak into the leather and then buff with a clean, dry towel.

JonM.

sgo
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
I`m not a leather expert by any means, but there are at least two types of leather that I`m aware of. That`s raw leather and coated leather. You can tell the difference by placing a drop of water on it. If it just sits there and does nothing, it`s coated leather and safe to use your common "leather" product on it. If it soaks in and the spot turns dark, it is raw leather and MUST be treated differently.

Here (http://www.leatherworldtech.com/LeatherIdentification.aspx) is one place that explains leather identification. The Ford F150 King Ranch pickup is one example of the raw leather.