PDA

View Full Version : Napster To-go

imported_Intel486
03-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Anyone use this or Napster?

I got a free mp3 player and a year free of Napster (actually more like 7 months) and it`s currently only $5 to upgrade to Napster to-go so I did.

I`m really thinking this might be the future of music. Stealing music off the internet is great but I rarely get 300 to 400kbs a second, which I do from Napster. And I also don`t have to worry about the song being good quality. I say in a year if they`re able to increase their selection of music and get more artists to sign on, then it might be a pretty sweet deal for $15 a month. Your thoughts?

Is there any way to get my mp3 player to play into my truck`s sound system without having to get a new headunit?

Scormunch
03-25-2005, 08:59 PM
I`ve been using Napster-to-go since it came out (and Napster in general for the past five or six years). I love it, and there`s really no legal alternative.

To connect your mp3 player, all you need to buy is an FM modulator if you want to use it with a stock headunit. It is really the easiest way. Simply plug one end into the headphone jack or your mp3 player and set both the headunit and modulator to the same radio frequency (i.e. 88.9, etc. you generally want to pick an empty station).

Kanchou
03-25-2005, 09:37 PM
remember. You don`t own the songs and they stop working if you ever cancel your napster.

Scormunch
03-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Kanchou

remember. You don`t own the songs and they stop working if you ever cancel your napster.

Except the ones that are on your mp3 player... but yes, the ones on your computer will stop working unless you pay the .99 cents a piece for the licence :o

imported_Intel486
03-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Kanchou

yup, that`s the one bad thing. I still figure if I was buying CD`s I`d spend more than $15 a month on them. I`ll give Napster this year and see how much they increase their music collection. It`s good sized but still missing a lot.

Kanchou
03-26-2005, 12:44 PM
the way i understood it, napster only works with certain devices that it can use its proprietary software.

IE, the mp3`s from napster on the player will ALSO stop working if the device can`t sink up with Napster once in a while, like that old DIVX dvd format.

MongooseGA
03-26-2005, 02:01 PM
So, you cant just connect the MP3 player to the computer and copy the files to your hard drive?

Talk about a deal breaker.

I`ve been using Ares recently but now I`m kind of feeling guilty. Where can I go to just pay a flat price each year/month and download an unlimited number of songs? My Dad`s been using Rhapsody, but it charges per file you download. A CD costs $12-$15 with 10-15 songs on it. If I have to pay $.99 per song I download, I don`t see where I`m saving anything except the ability to buy music in my pink nightie.

imported_Intel486
03-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

So, you cant just connect the MP3 player to the computer and copy the files to your hard drive?

Talk about a deal breaker.

I`ve been using Ares recently but now I`m kind of feeling guilty. Where can I go to just pay a flat price each year/month and download an unlimited number of songs? My Dad`s been using Rhapsody, but it charges per file you download. A CD costs $12-$15 with 10-15 songs on it. If I have to pay $.99 per song I download, I don`t see where I`m saving anything except the ability to buy music in my pink nightie.

I`m not sure you`ll ever have one flat fee and unlimited downloading of mp3 files that you can do anything you want with unless they`re not the mainstream bands, etc.

You can buy albums off napster for cheaper than $10-$15 and I don`t always listen to all the songs on CDs anyway unless it`s a group I really like. If you want only a song or two from an artist, then you can get them for a few dollars instead of having to buy the whole CD. Can also get them illegally but we`re not talking about that right now.

What I hope is that there can be a place, something like Napster, that has all the music I listen to (which napster doesn`t right now but still a nice selection) and I can pay a monthly fee and download all I want and put it on my Mp3 player... I seriously doubt i`ll be burning any more CDs now that I have an mp3 player. It`s just easier with the player.

MongooseGA
03-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

I seriously doubt i`ll be burning any more CDs now that I have an mp3 player. It`s just easier with the player.

Agreed. I haven`t touched a CD player in about two years. I`m surprised how many people still use them.

What I hate about people who aren`t "in the know" is that they always ask me what type of i-Pod I have. :mad:

I have an RCA :o

Kanchou
03-26-2005, 03:12 PM
one thing about Apple and I tunes

they go back to the masters and get 48k samples instead of cd 44.1k samples.

you do get a bit better version if you go for maximum bitrate