PDA

View Full Version : Rotary guys...do you still use the PC a lot?

Pages : [1] 2 3

White95Max
03-24-2005, 09:21 PM
I placed my order for the $25 Chicago rotary at http://www.harborfreight.com yesterday.

I`m wondering...to all you guys that use a rotary for polishing, do you still use the PC much or is it sitting on the back of the shelf now?

I`d guess you still use the PC for very light swirls or maybe LSPs?

rw3829
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
I purchased the Harbor Freight rotary and will be using it for the first time tomorrow...I also have a PC and used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my 03 PT Cruiser. I have limited rotary experience from trying out my luck on a 1997 Camry with a Black and Decker 2-speed model and I must say, after using both a rotary and the PC, I will find it hard to return to the PC. I know I will use the PC on higher end cars for now until I truly get the rotary down, but the results were just too amazing with the rotary compared to the PC. Now the Camry did have fairly bad paint defects (scratches, etc.) that a PC would have probably been at a disadvantage with, but the results came sooo quickly with the rotary! Also, after doing my PT with the PC and #80 with a LC polishing pad to remove light swirls, then still seeing swirls, makes me wonder what would have happened if I had used a rotary on it. Anywho, I did enjoy using the PC so maybe I step up to DACP or at lease a cutting pad with the #80 before shunning the PC. The bottom line...I WILL succeed with the rotary and make it my go-to tool of choice.

White95Max
03-24-2005, 10:13 PM
You didn`t have any problems with the rotary your first time?

What size pads did you use?

Corey Bit Spank
03-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Depends. depends depends. Sometimes using the PC is more than adequate, sometimes using a rotary makes quick work with great results. :)

DaGonz
03-24-2005, 10:27 PM
What is the mantra of an autopian?

Start with the mildest polish needed, then progress to a heavier cut only if necessary.

I use the same theory for polishers... start with the PC, go to the Makita only if necessary!

wannafbody
03-24-2005, 10:30 PM
i`ve never used a PC but i can say that with a rotary you can polish a car fairly quickly

rw3829
03-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

You didn`t have any problems with the rotary your first time?

What size pads did you use?

My first experience with the rotary was great! I just took it easy around the sharper areas and edges...The tool was also light weight which made it easy to use and get used to. As for the pads, keep in mind that this old Black and Decker rotary just had a 7" rubber backing plate with no velcro backing, so I had to use the 7" foam bonnets...definately not the best, but I was still amazed at the results and so were many who saw the finished product. Now, with the Harbor Freight model, I am using the flexible hook and loop 6" plate with 6.5" LC pads for the detail tomorrow. The car I am doing belongs to Bro-in-Law and is in BAD shape! Early 90`s Cougar with VERY oxidized paint on the horizontal surfaces...he mentioned to me that no matter what happens during buffing, he won`t get mad. Now that is bad paint! LOL. He just wants it to be a single uniformed color instead of "milky gray"...

MongooseGA
03-24-2005, 10:47 PM
White95Max-

There have been numerous threads on this topic. Do a search and you`ll find some asnwers ;)

:p

My plan for my rotary will be on cars that aren`t mine and ones that I want to get done fast. For my car, I`ll donate a whole day to polishing with the PC if need be.

White95Max
03-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Exactly how I`ll be starting out with the rotary. I`ll do my dad`s van (that he doesn`t care about) and then I`ll find some people with old neglected cars that I can work on for a minimal fee.

zainoshine
03-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Cool. I`ve been pondering purchasing a rotary (and up until Spring it really wasn`t necessary), but now, with my flyer out and more people learning of my services, it`s possible that I`ll need a rotary for those really bad vehicles.

I see myself buying one soon because you were the first person to let my try the PC and a couple of days later I bought one...maybe it`ll go the same for the rotary!

White95Max
03-24-2005, 10:59 PM
You are welcome to come over and try the rotary Carl. We can practice on the van like we did with the PC. :lol

rw3829
03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

Exactly how I`ll be starting out with the rotary. I`ll do my dad`s van (that he doesn`t care about) and then I`ll find some people with old neglected cars that I can work on for a minimal fee.

Very cool...Fill me in on what you think afterwards. I do notice the weight of the Harbor Freight unit is going to take some getting used to, but after a while of handling it in simulated buffing positions tonight, I think it will work out ok. I found myself not even noticing after a bit...I will post pics tomorrow so you guys can see what I am up against.

wash_me
03-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I use the high speed buffer for compounding and the PC to remove any swrils the high speed buffer might of put down. Wish I could use the high speed buffer for everything but I still get some light swirls.

airjames
03-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Both machines have there place in detailing. Alot of variables come to mind and what kind of finish you need to produce or what your looking to produce. It also depends on your skill level. While I treasure my Makita I do still use the PC for waxing and polishing windows. But for medium to heavy jobs where time is somewhat of an issue or if I`m just looking to produce a mind blowing finish, out comes the Makita.

Good luck with the Harbor Freight:up AR

X-Trail
03-25-2005, 01:01 AM
I still use my PC more than the rotary. I always use the PC with White Pad and FPII. Helps take out the holograms i create using the Rotary sometimes .