PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as too much wax?

srtviper
03-24-2005, 07:14 PM
what would happen if I kept layering pinnace souveran wax on my car...lets say once a week every week when the car did not need washing or anything at all? would ther be a downside to this? Before waxing if there is only dust and maybe a little bit of dirt just from road debree what would you guys do before applying wax? (wash with meguiars nxt??? dust it? quick detail spray? clay? etc.)

imported_DetailGirl
03-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Dust it then QD (Quick Detail) it.

It doesnt hurt to wax once a week but you will hit the point of diminishing returns. Just remember if you want to start over you will have to remove it all.

wannafbody
03-24-2005, 08:24 PM
74 layers of Zaino is ok but 75 is too many;)

Accumulator
03-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I sincerely doubt that the Souveran would "layer" to the point that you`d get an undesirable build-up, but I have had that happen (with a different LSP) on a garage queen that was waxed more than it was driven. For practical purposes, I`d go ahead and apply Souveran (to a *clean* car) as often as you like. That`s what I do with the XJS.

I would, however, always wash the car before waxing. I just don`t trust QDing to a) not mar the finish and, b) get things as clean as I`d like them. Anything other than "garage dust" I`d wash off with conventional methods. When I get the XJS out this spring I`m gonna wash it even though it only has a *very* slight amount of dust on it from being in the garage, uncovered, all winter. Better safe than sorry.

If it`s actually been driven, and did pick up some road debris, I`d try *very gently* spot-claying it and see if the clay picks up anything. If so, clay it (again, be *very* gentle) before adding more LSP. FWIW, I almost always do some claying before I apply any LSP just to make sure I don`t wax/seal in any dirt.