PDA

View Full Version : MF not absorbant anymore?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_SHICKS
03-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi-

My MF blue plush drying towels are not absorbant anymore. They just push water around.

I wash them with liquit tide and put vinager in the rinse cycle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

TW85 HHI
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
How do you wash them? Do you use a fabric softener (residue left in washer) on your clothing or a dryer sheet in the dryer?

imported_SHICKS
03-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I wash them with small amount of liquid tide and put vinegar in the rinse cycle. Dry them on low no softener.

Steve

Originally posted by TW85 HHI

How do you wash them? Do you use a fabric softener (residue left in washer) on your clothing or a dryer sheet in the dryer?

BigAl3
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
hhmmm.... i haven`t had that problem yet (have many mf`s). you may want try some different mf`s? i also, put a small amount of liquid tide with cold water, and dry on low and it works fine for me. :nixweiss

JasonD
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
That is the correct way to wash them, except the Tide might already have some fabric softener in it which will make them repel water. Even though a lot of people say liquid laundry detergent works, I still prefer a microfiber specific wash like MircoRestore, Sonus Der Wunder Wasche, etc. Pretty much every mf vendor sells something that will work.

If you use these towels with QD and/or products like Wax As U Dry, these will also make them repel water too.

I also find that washing them in hot water improves the effectiveness of the towels and then rinse with warm water. I do one full cycle with MicroRestore only (hot wash, warm rinse) and then a second full cycle using vinegar (all warm), and this works the best for me.

BigAl3
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

That is the correct way to wash them, except the Tide might already have some fabric softener in it which will make them repel water

i also do one last good rinse to where the water is pratically clear, to make sure all of the detergent is out. i may have to try the microrestore.

kompressornsc
03-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Do you use a front loading washer? I found out that I was contaminating my mf becasue the little bin that holds fabric softener still had some in it, and when I washed mf, it was putting it in. A wash with Charlie`s Soap made mine work again.

imported_SHICKS
03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
No, toploader. No liquid softener.

How much vineager should I use? I use about a cup per medium load.

Steve

Originally posted by kompressornsc

Do you use a front loading washer? I found out that I was contaminating my mf becasue the little bin that holds fabric softener still had some in it, and when I washed mf, it was putting it in. A wash with Charlie`s Soap made mine work again.

benpocock
03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
In the Adam`s videos it`s suggested that you boil dysfunctional MFs in water for 10 minutes to bring them back to their former glory. Whilst I haven`t tried this yet, I`m certainly going to give it a go when mine start to loose their absorbency.

Ben

medic159
03-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Be sure to use HOT water in the wash and a liquid detergent with NO additives of any kind. Afterwards washh them again with NO detergent, you may have a lot of buildup. You may need to wash them several times.

Keep in mind that polyester microfiber is NOT absorbent, repeat... NOT absorbent. By nature this yarn does not aBsorb, it aDsorbs (with a D.) Think of it like the difference between a glass cocktail stirrer and a straw. Poly microfiber is like the glass stirrer, nothing gets inside but the liquid adheres to the outside so it picks some up. Cotton and other natural fibers are like the regular straw which allows liquid inside. The reason poly microfiber appears to be so aBsorbant is that there are so many thousands of them that all together they are picking up a lot of water. So when they get coated with detergent or polish or fabric softener or whatever they loose their ability to aDsorb.

Get it? Contamination is a no-nno. Lots of hot water and very little detergent will usually help.

Spilchy
03-25-2005, 09:57 AM
The hot water is a necessity. In fact, it is because of Leo that I use hot water despite many saying that it is bad. Thanks Leo!

Also I use little detergent, but use Simple Green as a laundry booster according to their instructions. I have found this really helps to remove embedded wax, grease, etc... without bleaching out the fibers or leaving them stiff. They still maintain their structural integrity.

I follow with another normal wash with no detregent. I also use the vinegar trick - maybe a few tablespoons to a 1/4 cup.

Also, are you using Eagle One Wax As u Dry?? This product is really hard to get out and if you are using it, wash the towel separately.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Quick ? If E.O. WAUD is so difficult to get out of MF`s, is that a good sign for your vehicles surface? I mean is that a sign of durability ? Personally, I like the stuff, I havent had any issues with it on my MFs....

imported_SHICKS
03-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I do not use EO WAUD, but use the wipe n` shine quite a bit. I am trying to dedicate towels for specfic uses.

Last night I washed in HOT water with a little detergent. Today I did another HOT water wash with vineager. Hopefully that works. It could be the towels. I am using the big blue plush ones from Wally World. They seem pretty good for the price, but maybe they really are not so good.

Steve

Spilchy
03-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Quick ? If E.O. WAUD is so difficult to get out of MF`s, is that a good sign for your vehicles surface? I mean is that a sign of durability ? Personally, I like the stuff, I havent had any issues with it on my MFs....

:nixweiss Couldn`t tell ya.

But I too like the stuff! I dedicated 4 plush Viking drying towels that DavidB sold in the Autopia store for application. Those towels ROCK :xyxthumbs

togwt
03-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Quote: In the Adam`s videos it`s suggested that you boil dysfunctional MFs in water for 10 minutes to bring them back to their former glory. Whilst I haven`t tried this yet, I`m certainly going to give it a go when mine start to loose their absorbency.

Most mfg of polyester (Microfiber) advise against using a high temp to dry there towels as they could start to melt/meld, boiling (212oF) would seem to me a `high` temp.

JonM