PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting the PC.. what extras?

whitestang00
03-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi everyone, sorry if this is a repost, but anyways..

I drive a white 2000 Mustang GT and I`m thinking about picking up the PC 7424 but I`m not sure which extras to go with. My clear coat is pretty messed up mainly from waterspots as well as some swirl marks. Previous owner obviously wasn`t taking much care of the car and even though it`s not very visible on a white car, I still would like to get rid of them. Any suggestions of what extras I should pick up from Autopia to go along with the PC? What kind of attachements did you find most useful? Any help is appreciated. :xyxthumbs

imported_Denzil
03-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Please refer to the thread below that I have created. I believe it will help you in finding your answer.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52592

togwt
03-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Foam Pad Starter Kits:

Quality foam pads used for detailing are made from specially engineered European foam, a blend of thermally reticulated polyurethane with a 99% open cell structure, created specifically for compounding, polishing and finishing. This foam allows air to circulate through the pad to reduce heat build-up, so these foam pads do not require a ventilated backing plate

The secrets to successful machine polishing are using the correct type and size of foam pad, and the proper machine operating speed. Foam pads (Lake County Mfg) are available in various sizes from 3.5 â€â€œ 8.0-inch diameter, but I have found that for the application of a polish the optimum size of foam pad for whole panel (i.e. hood, trunk, fender, etc.) is 6 to 6.5- inches, with an effective pad contact diameter of 5.5 to 6.25- inches.

For the â€Ëœspot-repairâ€â„¢ on a specific blemish or paint defect, I prefer working with a 4- inch pad, this pad size allows me to focus on just the problem area and not affect the surrounding paint.

A constant pressure foam pad, this is essentially a flat pad which uses a patented technology layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate to absorb off-axis movements while keeping the pressure of the pad on the surface constant.

It allows even beginners to achieve professional-like results, the curved 6- inch pads outer edge makes transitioning seams and uneven panel breaks easier and the concave "dish" in the centre of the pad reduces product splatter, and gives the operator greater pad control. They are very easy to control, and forgiving of less-than-perfect technique. Proper Auto Care CP Foam Pads (http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=classic-motoring&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.com%2Fclassic-motoring%2F&query=constant+pressre+foam+pads)

a) LC 6-inch Foam Pad Starter Kit:

·1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)

·1-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)

·2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)

·2-Finishing Pad (*Black)

·1- 5-inch Flexible Urethane Backing Plate

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) www.lakecountrymfg.com. Manufacturers all use differing colours to distinguish the abrasiveness of their foam pads.

JonM

whitestang00
03-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for replys guys. I already picked up the PC 7336 from local Lowes. Should I get the 5" counter weight that comes with 7424 or should I just stick with the 6" one?

I`ll probably be ordering some pads next week. Thanks again.

JasonD
03-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Just stick with the 6" one. The concensus is that the 6" counterweight performs better *all around* than the 5" one does.

whitestang00
03-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Foam Pad Starter Kits:

Quality foam pads used for detailing are made from specially engineered European foam, a blend of thermally reticulated polyurethane with a 99% open cell structure, created specifically for compounding, polishing and finishing. This foam allows air to circulate through the pad to reduce heat build-up, so these foam pads do not require a ventilated backing plate

The secrets to successful machine polishing are using the correct type and size of foam pad, and the proper machine operating speed. Foam pads (Lake County Mfg) are available in various sizes from 3.5 â€â€œ 8.0-inch diameter, but I have found that for the application of a polish the optimum size of foam pad for whole panel (i.e. hood, trunk, fender, etc.) is 6 to 6.5- inches, with an effective pad contact diameter of 5.5 to 6.25- inches.

For the â€Ëœspot-repairâ€â„¢ on a specific blemish or paint defect, I prefer working with a 4- inch pad, this pad size allows me to focus on just the problem area and not affect the surrounding paint.

A constant pressure foam pad, this is essentially a flat pad which uses a patented technology layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate to absorb off-axis movements while keeping the pressure of the pad on the surface constant.

It allows even beginners to achieve professional-like results, the curved 6- inch pads outer edge makes transitioning seams and uneven panel breaks easier and the concave "dish" in the centre of the pad reduces product splatter, and gives the operator greater pad control. They are very easy to control, and forgiving of less-than-perfect technique. Proper Auto Care CP Foam Pads (http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=classic-motoring&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.com%2Fclassic-motoring%2F&query=constant+pressre+foam+pads)

a) LC 6-inch Foam Pad Starter Kit:

·1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)

·1-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)

·2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)

·2-Finishing Pad (*Black)

·1- 5-inch Flexible Urethane Backing Plate

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) www.lakecountrymfg.com. Manufacturers all use differing colours to distinguish the abrasiveness of their foam pads.

JonM

Just couple more questions...

Since I got a 7336, should I still get 5 inch backing plate, or should I go with 6"? And if I`ll go with the 6" one, should I go with bigger than 6" pads?

Oh yea, and why do I need 2 white and 2 black ones? Shouldn`t just 1 of each be enough? Thanks for help.

JasonD
03-27-2005, 05:28 PM
The size of the backing plate is determined by what pads you get, and is always slightly smaller than the pad itself.

I like to usually recommend one of the starter kits offered by most vendors for beginners. My personal favorite is the Sonus DAS kit, and I`ve heard nothing but good things about the Propel brand pads. Both are available as a kit with the proper backing plate.

whitestang00
03-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

The size of the backing plate is determined by what pads you get, and is always slightly smaller than the pad itself.

I like to usually recommend one of the starter kits offered by most vendors for beginners. My personal favorite is the Sonus DAS kit, and I`ve heard nothing but good things about the Propel brand pads. Both are available as a kit with the proper backing plate.

So this kit would work just fine with the 7336...?

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

Anything else I`d need to order in addition to this kit?

JeffM
03-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Maybe an extra polising pad, they get used alot.

Get some of the autopia micro fibers too , they are real nice.

whitestang00
03-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by JBM

Maybe an extra polising pad, they get used alot.

Get some of the autopia micro fibers too , they are real nice.

The polishing pad would be the orange one, correct?

I have some MF towels that I ordered sometime ago from Autopia. They`re great.