PDA

View Full Version : my detailing research has left me with a couple (well a million) ??`s

slinkygirl78
03-23-2005, 03:39 PM
i have been reading and trying to research but can`t really find the answers.

1. i hear a lot about using rubbing compound at the end of a chip-fixing-job. what is it? what kind is good to get? what does it do, exactly?

and

2. clay-barring. i probably spelled that wrong... anyway i read all the "how to`s" and about it on autopia.org, but i still am confused. how can clay actually remove particles of stuff from your paint, without scratching it?

i have an old honda, so while i`m researching how to keep my new 8 in good condition, i`m also researching how to make my old `lude look like new (read about oxidation and polishing it and all of that....).

anyway thanks for any answers!!

hirosh
03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
1. did you read the autopia how-to on chip repairing (http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=27&c=16) ?

it might provide the answers your looking for. it also mentions a couple of rubbing compound brands.

2. claying removes surface contaminents. the lubricant kinda keeps the clay bar from scratching the surface, yet allows it pick up the junk off the paint surface. i`ve seen a picture of it but forgot where. maybe it was on the meguiar`s site?

hope this helps. :)

raymond_ho2002
03-23-2005, 04:19 PM
My opinion on claybarring: The lube will reduce scratching, but not eliminate it. If the car is particularly gritty, it`s probably unavoidable. I always follow up with a polish to remove/reduce scratches.

MongooseGA
03-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Which is why you always wash before claying; even if you just washed the car yesterday... ;)

togwt
03-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Quote: 1. i hear a lot about using rubbing compound at the end of a chip-fixing-job. what is it? what kind is good to get? what does it do, exactly?

â€Â¢Place some tape (3M brand electrical tape) around the touched-up area so when you`re sanding as much of the original paint is protected. Be patient and take your time. Once you get it as level as possible, remove the tape and carefully continue until it is flush.

â€Â¢Allow each coat of applied paint to dry for >2-3 hours before the application of subsequent coats

â€Â¢Use a sanding block and 1200 grit paper (Ace Hardware Rubber Block) soak the block and paper overnight, with a water / soap solution 6:1 for lubrication

â€Â¢Use a back and forth motion with the sanding block and paper (do not use circular movements) smooth out the repair and ensure that it is level with the paint film surface Try to limit sanding to the immediate area of the repair â€Â¢Use a mild polish to restore surface gloss after carefully rinsing away surface and finish by applying wax / sealant protection

I hope this helps and does not confuse you. The e-detaling book has a method for dealing with stone chips.

Autopia Car Care Guide to Detailing, DavidB (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=Books.htm&s=&menu=4)

Accumulator
03-23-2005, 07:18 PM
slinkygirl78- Welcome to Autopia. Heh heh, that username does get one`s attention.

The rubbing compound is an aggressive polish that can be used after the sanding step that TOGWT mentioned or sometimes in place of it. It is then followed by a less aggressive polish to remove the micromarring that the compound itself leaves. Think of the compound as a type of "liquid sandpaper". There are some quite mild ones that are safe for most uses, including my favorite, 3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound (aka "PI-III RC", pn 05933).

Since the potentially abrasive contamination is stuck to the clay, it pays to knead or replace the clay frequently. Between the lubrication from the lube/wash solution and the contamination getting partially embedded in the clay, the risk of marring is surprisingly low, as long as you don`t keep rubbing with contaminated clay.

slinkygirl78
03-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the answers everyone!! :)

(btw "Slinky Girl" is from a 311 song :D )

Anyway I did read the chip repairing guide... that`s where my questions came from, hehe. I just got a yellow RX8 with a couple of chips in it, and would like to repair them asap. unfortunatley it looks like a ton of work, more than i expected anyway!!

I read a lot of the posts about "I`m a newbie, does this routine look right to you?" and people listing the order of steps to wash and polish (etc) their cars.

I have lots more questions but also lots more reading to do, sooo...

Anyway thanks again! Hopefully within a month I will have a good idea of what to do exactly- to repair my chips, and giv her a good waxing/polishing/whatever steps i`m forgetting!